Mysterious Movement in Pool - What Could it Be?

• Thread starter Abby4761
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Anomaly
In summary, the light is a hotspot on the pool bottom caused by the curve of the wave acting like a magnifying glass.
Abby4761
I hesitate to say this is an anomaly, as it probably has a simple answer, but I have noticed a line of light moving horizontally across my pool every now and then, it starts at the deep end and moves continuously to the shallow end, moves up the wall at the shallow end, and ends at the surface of the water creating a small ripple effect. This can't be light and I suspected it was heat rising from a deeper to a shallower medium. Any thoughts?
thanks for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
Abby4761 said:
I have noticed a line of light

Abby4761 said:
This can't be light

Well is it light or isn't it? :wink:

Abby4761 said:
I hesitate to say this is an anomaly, as it probably has a simple answer, but I have noticed a line of light moving horizontally across my pool every now and then, it starts at the deep end and moves continuously to the shallow end, moves up the wall at the shallow end, and ends at the surface of the water creating a small ripple effect. This can't be light and I suspected it was heat rising from a deeper to a shallower medium. Any thoughts?
thanks for any input!

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like a small wave that starts from the deep end for some reason. Is there some source like a strainer or something at the deep end that could occasionally start a small wave?

Your question doesn't give much detail, but I'm guessing that the "line" is a variation of the following kind of reflection.

http://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/568828/preview/stock-footage-swimming-pool-bottom.jpg

In a cosmology course on video, Professor Susskind pointed out the similarities between pool bottoms and the large scale variations in the universe. He then continued to explain the common mathematics of both.

galseq_D_063.jpg

So if my guess it correct, your question relates to very interesting physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it comes randomly and in a straight line of light that moves across the pool to the shallow end in about 30 seconds. Thanks for the input!

Can you describe in more detail what you mean by straight line? where does it start? Where does it end? Which way is it oriented? How does it move in relation to its orientation? Is there a breeze? Is it sunny? Are there waves? Does the line of light shimmer?

Me, I'm suspecting a surface ripple from a very light gust of wind. It looks exactly like a mosquito buzzing the water.

It starts in the deep end of the pool which is facing towards the east., and the shallow towards the west. This happened when it was sunny and about 90 degrees. however it has recurred in different temperatures and times of day. The line looks like what anorlunda referred to, but it is straight and sloped (highest point in the northeast and lowest southwest). The pool is about 30 meters long and it takes the line about 45 seconds to reach the shallow end of the pool. When it comes to the end of the shallow end it makes its way up the curved pool wall, effectively shrinking this moving mystery line, and when it reaches the surface the line disappears and creates a small ripple of water.

Abby4761 said:
The pool is about 30 meters long

That's a long pool. :smile: Can you post some pictures of the pool and what-all is in the deep end that might be generating a small wave sometimes?

Abby4761 said:
When it comes to the end of the shallow end it makes its way up the curved pool wall, effectively shrinking this moving mystery line, and when it reaches the surface the line disappears and creates a small ripple of water.
This sounds very much like a singleton surface wave making its way down the length of the pool. Waves traveling the length of the pool will last much longer than waves traveling the width.

The light is a hotspot on the pool bottom, caused by the curve of the wave acting like a magnifying glass.

I would have thought though, that you'd see the line reflect back toward the deep end - though I can think of a few reasons why it might not be fully reflective in the shallow end.

Last edited:

1. What causes the mysterious movement in my pool?

The most common cause of mysterious movement in pools is usually due to the circulation of water caused by filtration systems or natural elements such as wind or rain. Other factors that may contribute to movement include objects falling into the pool or the presence of algae or other organisms.

2. Is the movement harmful or dangerous?

In most cases, the mysterious movement in pools is not harmful or dangerous. However, it is important to regularly monitor and maintain proper chemical balance and cleanliness of the pool to prevent any potential hazards or health risks.

3. How can I determine if the movement is due to a leak?

If you suspect that the movement in your pool is caused by a leak, you can perform a simple bucket test. Fill a bucket with pool water and place it on a step in the pool, making sure the water level inside and outside the bucket is the same. After 24 hours, check the water levels again. If the water level inside the bucket has dropped more than the water level outside, it may indicate a leak.

4. Can the movement be caused by a malfunctioning pool equipment?

Yes, a malfunctioning pool equipment, such as a pump or filter, can cause unusual movement in the pool. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain all pool equipment to ensure proper functioning and prevent any potential problems.

5. How can I prevent or reduce the mysterious movement in my pool?

To prevent or reduce the mysterious movement in your pool, it is important to maintain proper chemical balance and cleanliness of the pool. Regularly clean and skim the pool to remove any debris or organisms. Additionally, installing a pool cover can also help reduce movement caused by wind or rain.