Mystery base current in darlington pair

In summary: The base would float at around 0.7 volts in this circuit, and any noise voltage above that would turn on the B-E diodes and allow some current to flow through the transistors.
vugo
I was trying a simple Darlington circuit with two Darlington-connected NPN transistors. There is an LED in the shorted collectors, connected to a 5V supply, and the base is open. The trivial objective was to see that when you touch two fingers to the base and the supply positive, the LED turns on. That's all very straightforward and worked as expected, but to my surprise, there is a (very faint) glow in the LED (with about 150 mV across it) when I touch just the base as well! I initially thought it might be discharge from built-up static but the glow is not momentary. It sustains for a long enough time (although I haven't stared at it for longer than about 15 seconds at a stretch) to make it seem like it isn't capacitive discharge- yet isn't that what it must be? Where else can the current come from?

I also notice that when I momentarily touch either the positive or the ground of the 5V supply and then touch just the base, there is a split-second flash in the LED, after which it returns to the low glow (making it seem like a capacitive discharge). Is the body cap providing the base current which then gets amplified? What circuit gets completed though?

When I complete the circuit betn the base and the supply, I measure Ic = 100 mA and Ib = 20 uA. So hFE=5000.

Base current is too small to register in the one-finger case, but Ic is 5-7 uA. Even if hFE stays the same (it might actually be lower at low Ic), that implies a sustained base current of at least 1 nA.

The last observation is that if I touch the body of the (linear) power supply with one hand while holding the base with the other, the low glow of the LED goes off completely (but promptly reappears when I let go of the power supply). This makes it seem like it is indeed current being sourced by the body, and the circuit is completed through Earth ground. This raises two questions:

1. Aren't linear power supplies isolated from the AC input side? How is Earth ground related to the DC ground of a linear power supply? Is there effectively a massive resistance from DC gnd to Earth ground through which the body cap is discharging?

2. When I let go of the body of the supply, the LED promptly comes back on (of course with the low glow). Shouldnt the body cap get discharged once I touch ground? How is the charge getting instantaneously replenished?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have a circuit that looks something like this? And resistor replaced with a diode..

darling.gif
vugo said:
That's all very straightforward and worked as expected, but to my surprise, there is a (very faint) glow in the LED (with about 150 mV across it) when I touch just the base as well! I initially thought it might be discharge from built-up static but the glow is not momentary. It sustains for a long enough time (although I haven't stared at it for longer than about 15 seconds at a stretch) to make it seem like it isn't capacitive discharge- yet isn't that what it must be? Where else can the current come from?

That could be a collector-emitter leakage current of the first transistor Tr1 driving the base of the second transistor Tr2.

Attachments

• darling.gif
    darling.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Your body could be acting as an antenna and picking up microvolts of ac signal that gets rectified in the base of Tr1. Install a 1 meg pulldown resistor from the Tr1 base to ground.

Bob S

waht: yup, that's the circuit, with resistor replaced by an LED, and base kept open.

Bob S: Just tried what you suggested, and that worked! Now there is no glow when I touch the base of Tr1. Although- with the pulldown installed, shouldn't the current generated by the body antenna still divide such that some flows through the base (and get amplified as before)? It seems like the path through the transistors would be a lower-resistance path compared to the 1M to ground?

vugo said:
Bob S: Just tried what you suggested, and that worked! Now there is no glow when I touch the base of Tr1. Although- with the pulldown installed, shouldn't the current generated by the body antenna still divide such that some flows through the base (and get amplified as before)? It seems like the path through the transistors would be a lower-resistance path compared to the 1M to ground?
With the 1 meg resistor installed, it would take over ~1.2 volts (over ~1 microamp) across it to get a base current.

Bob S

Bob S said:
With the 1 meg resistor installed, it would take over ~1.2 volts (over ~1 microamp) across it to get a base current.

Bob S

Got it. But what exactly happens when the base is floating? Does it float at about this voltage (so that the noise voltage generated by the body pushes the B-E diodes into conduction on positive excursions)?

vugo said:
Got it. But what exactly happens when the base is floating? Does it float at about this voltage (so that the noise voltage generated by the body pushes the B-E diodes into conduction on positive excursions)?

Yes.

What is a Darlington pair?

A Darlington pair is a type of electronic circuit that consists of two bipolar transistors connected in a specific way to amplify an input signal. It is commonly used in applications that require high gain and high current amplification.

What is a mystery base current in a Darlington pair?

The mystery base current in a Darlington pair refers to a small amount of current that flows through the base terminal of the first transistor, even when there is no input signal. This current can affect the overall performance of the circuit and can be difficult to explain or predict.

Why does a mystery base current occur in a Darlington pair?

The mystery base current is caused by a phenomenon called "base current modulation." This occurs when the first transistor in the pair is biased to a high current gain, causing a small amount of current to flow through the base terminal. This current then affects the second transistor, resulting in a larger current flow through the collector terminal.

How does the mystery base current affect the performance of a Darlington pair?

The mystery base current can cause variations in the overall current gain of the circuit, making it difficult to accurately predict the output current. It can also cause the circuit to be more sensitive to changes in temperature and other external factors.

Are there any ways to reduce or eliminate the mystery base current in a Darlington pair?

Yes, there are some techniques that can be used to minimize the effects of the mystery base current. These include using a higher current gain for the second transistor, adding a resistor in parallel with the first transistor's base-emitter junction, or using a different type of transistor with lower base current requirements.