N-dimensional Universal Turing Machine?

In summary: Booda asks can a universal turing machine compute arbitrary orthogonal sequences of integers in n dimensions for any n>0?-Chiro says an N-dimensional crossword puzzle with arbitrary number of squares and dimension, where each cell has an integer associated with it, and Turing "tapes" run perpendicular to each other.-Do you mean each cell has a non negative integer index sequence i,j,k,...,n ? If this is sufficient, I don't see why this wouldn't be possible provided n isn't too large to be accommodated computationally.-Chiro says a Universal Turing Machine computes, with minimal operations, all sequences of integers along an infinite (conventionally
Loren Booda
Can a Universal Turing Machine compute arbitrary, orthogonal sequences of integers in N dimensions for any N>0?

Just an idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Loren Booda.

What do you mean by orthogonal exactly? Do you mean an N-dimensional vector where each entry is an integer?

chiro,

More like a crossword puzzle with arbitrary number of squares and dimension, where each cell has an integer associated with it, and Turing "tapes" run perpendicular to each other.

Loren Booda said:
chiro,

More like a crossword puzzle with arbitrary number of squares and dimension, where each cell has an integer associated with it, and Turing "tapes" run perpendicular to each other.

Do you mean each cell has a non negative integer index sequence i,j,k,...,n ? If this is sufficient, I don't see why this wouldn't be possible provided n isn't too large to be accommodated computationally.

Please allow me to redefine my question:

A Universal Turing Machine computes, with minimal operations, all sequences of integers along an infinite (conventionally "one-dimensional" and partitioned) tape.

What is the least number of such machines needed to compute all distinct sequences of integers occurring in an infinite N-dimensional space of random integers, where N is a whole number?

Is the answer from simple set theory, or is it even more obvious?

The idea of the infinite theoretical tape won't really help you to give a practical solution.

One thing that might help you is to consider the halting problem. Gregory Chaitin who worked for IBM has written a lot about the halting problem and has also found a way to express the probability of a turing machine halting given that the program is n-cells in length.

Also with the sequences part of the question, what is the size of the set? I'm assuming by sequences you mean { a(n) } a(n) is an integer for all appropriate n where n ranges from 1 to some upper bound. What kind of upper bound do you have in mind?

Putting the length of the actual "used" part of the tape into the context of the problem is important.

Maybe it might be beneficial for everyone to know the exact constraints you have in mind.

As an example if a computer were asked to compute the exact value of pi using integers and arithmetic, it could never be done in any finite amount of time and I worry that there may be some confusion that is in a similar vein.

chiro,

Thanks for giving grist to my mill for the upcoming year.

(I received the book The Annotated Turing, by Charles Petzold, during the Holidays.)

-Loren

1. What is an N-dimensional Universal Turing Machine?

An N-dimensional Universal Turing Machine is a theoretical model of a computer that is capable of performing any computation that can be described by an N-dimensional algorithm. This means it can handle tasks that require multiple dimensions, such as complex data analysis or simulating complex physical systems.

2. How is an N-dimensional Universal Turing Machine different from a regular Turing Machine?

While a regular Turing Machine is limited to one-dimensional computations, an N-dimensional Universal Turing Machine can handle multiple dimensions. This allows it to solve more complex problems and perform more sophisticated tasks.

3. What are the practical applications of an N-dimensional Universal Turing Machine?

Currently, there are no practical applications for an N-dimensional Universal Turing Machine as it is a theoretical model. However, it could potentially be used in fields such as artificial intelligence, quantum computing, and advanced data analysis.

4. Can an N-dimensional Universal Turing Machine be physically built?

It is currently not possible to physically build an N-dimensional Universal Turing Machine as it is a theoretical model. However, researchers continue to explore the possibilities of building a physical version of this machine.

5. What is the significance of an N-dimensional Universal Turing Machine in the field of computer science?

The N-dimensional Universal Turing Machine is significant in computer science as it expands the capabilities of traditional Turing Machines and allows for the exploration of more complex and advanced computational problems. It also has implications for the development of future computing technologies and the understanding of the limits of computation.