Nambu Spinor Notation in Kitaev spinless p-wave model

In summary, the author is having trouble re-writing a Hamiltonian using Nambu spinors notation, and is wondering how to start with the original Hamiltonian and re-write it in terms of Nambu spinors.
DeathbyGreen
Hey all! Thanks for reading. I'm currently following along in some reading and had some trouble with re-writing a Hamiltonian in Bogluibov-de Gennes form using Nambu notation (Nambu spinors). Here is the low down:

Say we have a Hamiltonian:
[tex] \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^{N} c_{i}^{\dagger} D c_{i} + \frac{1}{2}\sum_{i=1}^{N-1}c^{\dagger}_{i+1}Tc_{i} + c^{\dagger}_{i}T^{\dagger}c_{i+1}
[/tex]

where we have
[tex] D = (\frac{\hbar^2}{ma^2} - \mu)\tau_{z} [/tex]

and
[tex] T = (-\frac{\hbar^2}{2ma^2}\tau_{z} - \frac{i\Delta}{2a}\tau_{x}) [/tex]

The tau are Pauli matrices. We are to be able to write the Hamiltonian as a 2Nx2N matrix (N being the number of particles), by defining Nambu spinors

[tex] \tilde{c} = (c_{1}, c_{2},...,c_{N})^T [/tex]

which is of length 2N since each c_{i} is a 2 spinor. Finally, we can simplify the Hamiltonian to
[tex] H = \frac{1}{2} \tilde{c^{\dagger}}H\tilde{c} [/tex]

Where H is a tridiagonal matrix consisting of T's and D's. I understand how the two are equivalent, but how could I just look at a Hamiltonian and tell if I could simplify it using Nambu spinors? When using the Bogluibov quasiparticles we see the same type of thing to get a BdG Hamiltonian. I can check the equivalence by working backwards, but how could I start with the original H in my statement and rearrange it to ultimately get the Nambu form? Hopefully I'm being clear enough :P

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say "We are to be able to write the Hamiltonian as a 2Nx2N matrix (N being the number of particles), by defining Nambu spinors" you are simply forming a vector out of Nambu spinors, not defining them. Your starting Hamiltonian seems to be already defined in terms of Nambu spinors. I fear I don't quite get your point.

Yes sorry, I was worried my question wouldn't be clear. I think it is a pretty simple procedure, but I just don't see how I can look at the first Hamiltonian and know that I can re-write it as a vector of Nambu spinors. It is already written in terms of them, but I don't know how the tridiagonal matrix form is so apparent. Is there some kind of matrix transformation that is commonly used that I'm just not aware of?

I think I just figured it out...I just re-wrote each individual term in matrix notation and added them, then got the tridiagonal thing. :D Thanks!

1. What is Nambu spinor notation?

Nambu spinor notation is a mathematical representation used in particle physics and condensed matter physics to describe systems with spin degrees of freedom. It was developed by Yoichiro Nambu and is based on the use of two-component spinors to describe both the particle and antiparticle states.

2. What is the Kitaev spinless p-wave model?

The Kitaev spinless p-wave model is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of particles with spinless fermions on a lattice. It was proposed by Alexei Kitaev in 2001 and is used to study systems with unconventional superconductivity, such as topological superconductors.

3. How is Nambu spinor notation used in the Kitaev spinless p-wave model?

In the Kitaev spinless p-wave model, Nambu spinor notation is used to represent the fermionic operators on the lattice. The notation allows for a compact representation of the operators, making it easier to write and manipulate equations describing the system.

4. What are the advantages of using Nambu spinor notation in the Kitaev spinless p-wave model?

One of the main advantages of using Nambu spinor notation in the Kitaev spinless p-wave model is that it simplifies the mathematical description of the system. It also allows for a clearer understanding of the underlying symmetries and physical properties of the system, making it easier to analyze and make predictions.

5. Are there any alternative notations that can be used in the Kitaev spinless p-wave model?

Yes, there are alternative notations that can be used in the Kitaev spinless p-wave model, such as Majorana fermion notation. However, Nambu spinor notation is often preferred due to its simplicity and ability to capture the symmetries of the system. Different notations may be more suitable for different types of calculations or representations of the system.