Name Geometric Shapes Based on Lewis Dot Drawings

• Thread starter AngelShare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dot
In summary, according to VSEPR theory, H2O and CO2 are linear molecules due to their central atoms having no free electron pairs. H2S and CH4 are tetrahedral shaped due to their central atoms having four bonding pairs. NH3 is trigonal planar due to its central atom having three bonding pairs and one lone pair. CCl2F2 is also trigonal planar due to its central atom having two bonding pairs and two lone pairs.
AngelShare
Give each group a shape name based on geometry. This one does not have to be "correct," but I want you to remember what the molecules look like for application later in the unit.

H2O
NH3
CH4
H2S
CCl2F2

I've drawn both a Lewis dot drawing and a stereo projection for each but I still can't come up with any names.

H2O and H2S could both be called triangles because, if you were to connect the two hydrogen atoms on a stereo projection, you'd have a triangle. CH4 and CCl2F2 could be squares...but what on Earth would NH3 be? If I were to connect it the same way, I'd get another triangle.:bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
well, both [itex] H_2O [/itex] and [itex] H_2S [/itex] are "triangles", but they are flat. [itex] NH_3 [/itex] would be more like a pyramid (because it's 3d)

What leads you to think that methane (CH4) is planar? Can you think of a 3D shape which would keep the hydrogen atoms even further from each other than they would be on a plane?

- Warren

chroot said:
What leads you to think that methane (CH4) is planar? Can you think of a 3D shape which would keep the hydrogen atoms even further from each other than they would be on a plane?

- Warren

Uh...what leads me to think methane is planar? Planar? I think you're going a bit over my head without knowing it.:smile:

So...CCl2F2 and CH4 are both pyramids? That confuses me even more though...what in the hell would the others be?:confused: I don't know if my teacher is asking for their 3D geometric shape...

I could say that both H2O and H2S could be flat triangles while NH3 is a 3D triangle...and that CH4 and CCl2F2 are 3D pyramids...right?

Last edited:
[QUOTE="AngelShare]Give each group a shape name based on geometry. This one does not have to be "correct," but I want you to remember what the molecules look like for application later in the unit.
H2O
NH3
CH4
H2S
CCl2F2
I've drawn both a Lewis dot drawing and a stereo projection for each but I still can't come up with any names.
H2O and H2S could both be called triangles because, if you were to connect the two hydrogen atoms on a stereo projection, you'd have a triangle. CH4 and CCl2F2 could be squares...but what on Earth would NH3 be? If I were to connect it the same way, I'd get another triangle.[/QUOTE]
It's a bit unfair being asked for these molecules' shapes without being taught how to do that in the first place, isn't it?

Perhaps you could check out
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/bonding/shapes.html

Scroll down to
"Two electron pairs around the central atom"
and read down to H2O, to see how the types of lewis diagrams you have drawn translate into 3-dimensional shapes.

Don't worry too much about bond angles at the moment.

Unco is right, Lewis dot structures say nothing about the three dimensional shape of a molecule. What you are looking for is something called "VESPR" or "VSEPR" theory. The above website is a start, but if you are allergic to online learning sources (like me) you may want to thumb through your text for a bit as you might get a more detailed explanation of it there.

Did I get this right? Did I word it correctly?

According to the VSEPR theory, H2O and H2S are linear molecules. CH4 and CCl2F2 are Tetrahedral shaped and NH3 is Trigonal Planar.

AngelShare said:
Did I get this right? Did I word it correctly?
According to the VSEPR theory, H2O and H2S are linear molecules. CH4 and CCl2F2 are Tetrahedral shaped and NH3 is Trigonal Planar.

No, that's not correct.
H20 and H2S are not linear. NH3 is not planar.

AngelShare, are you reading this topic from a book or are you learning this from an online course?

My class is online but, in order to keep my grade up, I was given a book.

Now I'm confused because the example in the book shows CO2 and it looks exactly like H2O and H2S...doesn't it?

Clearly, all molecules that contain only 2 atoms, such as molecular oxygen and hydrochloric acid, are linear. But many molecules that contain three atoms are also linear.

AngelShare said:
My class is online but, in order to keep my grade up, I was given a book.
Now I'm confused because the example in the book shows CO2 and it looks exactly like H2O and H2S...doesn't it?
Nope, there are differences between C02 and H20. How many lone pair of electrons are there in the central atom in C02? On H20?

AngelShare said:
Clearly, all molecules that contain only 2 atoms, such as molecular oxygen and hydrochloric acid, are linear. But many molecules that contain three atoms are also linear.

That does not mean all molecules with three atoms are linear!

Here is another link which might help.
http://misterguch.brinkster.net/VSEPR.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

In terms of Lewis structures they are almost exactly the same shape (because again, Lewis structures do not include any information on the 3D shape of the molecule). Think of the problem you are trying to solve as really being a *two* step process:

Step 1. Use Lewis theory to draw the electron dot structures of the compound you are considering (you seem to be doing this step OK).
Step 2. Look at the central atom and use the VSEPR theory to figure out the 3D shape of the molecule (you seem to be stuck at this step).

For example, look at your lewis structures of H20 and CO2. Notice that CO2 has two double bonds on the central Carbon atom? This means there are no free *electrons* on the central Carbon which means that it's shape is considered linear. Now look at your lewis structure for H20. Yes, there are two molecules bonded to the central carbon as well here, but in this case these are single bonds. This means that you have two bonds on the carbon AND two free electron pairs attached to the central carbon. What the electron pairs do is "push" the Hydrogens closer together and this is why you see that "bent" shape of H20 molecules in your book (and also why the molecule ends up being slightly polar).

There is no shortcut, the Lewis structures are insufficient in that regard as the above example shows, you have to read up on the VSEPR theory or you won't have the tools you need to make the distinction as shown above (many links have been provided on this for you so from here it is up to you if you want to put in some extra work and get this right or not).

blehh

I'm doing the same exact assignment right now and I'm having trouble giving Lewis dots to my molecules! oh and just curious who is your chem teacher?

Try chemguide as suggested above. Its great!
Just so as its in words, lewis structures are not too hard once you get a good grasp of concepts :)

Thanks, I'll look over everything and post my answer again once I think I have it.

Oh and, xxemeraldsxx, I had Mr. Lanier but he was just replaced by Mr. Burns.

Related to Name Geometric Shapes Based on Lewis Dot Drawings

1. What are Lewis dot structures and how do they relate to geometric shapes?

Lewis dot structures are diagrams that represent the valence electrons of an atom. These structures are useful for predicting the arrangement of atoms in a molecule and can be used to determine the shape of a molecule. The number of electron pairs around a central atom in a Lewis dot structure can determine the type of geometric shape the molecule will have.

2. Can you give an example of a geometric shape based on a Lewis dot structure?

One example is the tetrahedral shape, which is formed when a central atom is surrounded by four electron pairs in a Lewis dot structure. An example of a molecule with this shape is methane (CH4).

3. How do you name geometric shapes based on Lewis dot drawings?

Geometric shapes based on Lewis dot drawings are typically named based on the number of electron pairs around the central atom. For example, a molecule with two electron pairs around the central atom will have a linear shape, and a molecule with five electron pairs will have a trigonal bipyramidal shape.

4. Are there exceptions to the naming rules for geometric shapes based on Lewis dot drawings?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the naming rules. For example, if a molecule has lone pairs of electrons on the central atom, the shape may be slightly distorted from the expected shape. Additionally, molecules with multiple bonds may also have slightly different shapes than predicted by the number of electron pairs.

5. How do geometric shapes based on Lewis dot drawings affect the properties of molecules?

The shape of a molecule can greatly affect its properties, such as polarity and reactivity. For example, molecules with a linear shape tend to be nonpolar, while molecules with a bent shape tend to be polar. Additionally, the shape of a molecule can determine how it interacts with other molecules in chemical reactions.