Name of Unidentified Fruit or Vegetable

In summary, this thing is a fruit (or vegetable) with a crunchy feel and sour taste. It is not a carambola, which has a different shape and has a sturdy stem and branches. It looks similar to a fig, one of the smaller varieties, and is made in Greece by a friend of mine.
dirk_mec1
I am looking for the name of this thing fruit (or vegetable):

Attachments

• cara.jpg
    cara.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dirk_mec1 said:
I am looking for the name of thing fruit (or vegetable):
Look familiar, pretty sure I've tried it. Has a crunchy feel and sour taste. Don't know the name though.

Well it is not a carambola.

dirk_mec1 said:
I am looking for the name of this thing fruit (or vegetable):
Can you get a better, closer picture, can you cut one open? Would knowing the country it's in help? The leaves look similar to tomato leaves, but this is a tree?

Hmm, where did you obtain the image, that might help?
Does look tomato like, but lacks the very sturdy stems and branches that tomato has.
Looks to me also to be a bit like a fig, one of the smaller varieties, not really a 'tree'

Okay, I will bite.
Gooseberries?
Though, aren't UFO threads banned?

It's made in Greece by a friend of mine.

Enigman said:
Okay, I will bite.
Gooseberries?
I've searched the internet and the cape of this fruit does look similar but the cape is I think much smaller than this one, right?

Ground-Cherries? (physalis) Sometimes they look like gooseberries when unripe. They use them a lot here in europe, and would grow well in Greece.
Theres 50-100 varieties too.

Enigman said:
Okay, I will bite.
Gooseberries?
Though, aren't UFO threads banned?

Ha! We were picking wild Gooseberries and Saskatoon berries in the woods yesterday. Had some on my French toast this morning.

Hepth said:
Ground-Cherries? (physalis) Sometimes they look like gooseberries when unripe. They use them a lot here in europe, and would grow well in Greece.
Theres 50-100 varieties too.
Could be but did you notice that these are more round shaped than elliptic shaped like the normal ones?

dirk_mec1 said:
Could be but did you notice that these are more round shaped than elliptic shaped like the normal ones?

Yeah, but its the only thing with the maple-like leaves I could think of, and there's so many varieties, it could be any shape when young.

1. What is this unidentified fruit or vegetable?

This is a common question when encountering a fruit or vegetable that is unfamiliar. It could be a new species or variety that you have never seen before.

2. Is this unidentified fruit or vegetable safe to eat?

This is an important question to ask, especially if you are planning on consuming the fruit or vegetable. It is always best to do some research or consult with a professional before consuming any unknown food.

3. Where did this unidentified fruit or vegetable originate from?

Many people are curious to know the origins of unfamiliar fruits and vegetables. This can give insight into the climate, growing conditions, and cultural significance of the fruit or vegetable.

4. How can I prepare or cook this unidentified fruit or vegetable?

Some fruits and vegetables may require specific preparation or cooking methods to be enjoyed. It is always a good idea to research how to prepare and cook a new food before attempting to do so.

5. Are there any health benefits associated with this unidentified fruit or vegetable?

Many people are interested in the nutritional value and potential health benefits of unfamiliar fruits and vegetables. Some may have unique properties or nutrients that can contribute to a healthy diet.