Naming of semiconductor devices

In summary: So SL100, CL100, SK100 and CK100 are transistors which do not follow these standard naming conventions which are there, isn't it?
ShreyasR
In my college, we used this transistor named SL100 and another one named CL100 for various experiments. But why are they named that way? I browsed the net for an answer for almost an hour but couldn't find a proper answer to this? What does S and L mean? what does 100 mean?
From the Datasheets, I found that SK100 and CK100 are PNP transistors and SL100 and CL100 are NPN transistors, so I inferred that 'L' denotes that it is an NPN transistor and K for PNP transistor... But I am not sure. Some sources say S stands for "slew" and L for low frequency...

Then I landed up in this wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Electron

But this says 'S' is for Solitary digital integrated circuits. I have no clue what is that supposed to mean! And that wiki link is the one with the "MOST DETAILS" that i could find. Someone please help me with this... :cry::frown::confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
AFAIK transitors do not have standardized names, it is up to the manufacturer to call them whatever they want. Sometimes the names actually mean something, but sometimes the names are just internal designations and the numbers/letters are essentially just random (or have something to do which generation of device it etc)

Note also that is quite common for other manufacturers to use the same names/numbers once the orignal manufacturers patents have run out. This just means that these devices can be used as drop-in replacements for the originals. The most famous example would be the 741 op-amp which has been around for 50 years, it was originally made by Fairchild Semiconductor but now they are sold by lots of companies; the name still does not really mean anything more than that it was part of the 700 series at Fairchild.

Hence, it is a bit like asking why Porche named their car "911".

Or Porsche.

Actually, the 911 got its name because Porsche got into a fight with Peugeot about the original name for this car, the 901 (based on Porsche's internal project number for the design). Peugeot claimed priority in three-digit names for cars where the middle digit was '0'. To avoid a prolonged and costly fight, Porsche changed the original name '901' to '911'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911

SteamKing said:
There doesn't seem to be any standard naming or ID convention.

Somebody once said "standards are very important for computer software development. That's why were are so many different ones".

The same applies to semiconductors: http://www.semicon-data.de/info/namings.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor#Part_numbering_standards_.2F_specifications

But note that the US "standard" is hardly worth the name, since it doesn't say much except diodes are numbered 1N... and transistors 2N...

Last edited by a moderator:
So SL100, CL100, SK100 and CK100 are transistors which do not follow these standard naming conventions which are there, isn't it? So in my Analog electronics Laboratory viva, If they ask me something about components which follow european standard of naming or american standard of naming, I can at least tell something about it. But if they ask "What does S and L stand for in SL100, or something like that? According to my friends and seniors, such questions have been asked by the external examiners, though I feel it is a silly and a stupid thing to ask. So in case they ask such questions related to this, What should I answer?

someone Please reply... I promise this will be my last question... my practical exam is nearning and i want to be prepared with an answer for this question...

I found this, but it doesn't cover all those letters you posted. Sure hope it helps.

"Transistor coding follows two systems namely European coding system and American coding system. In European coding system, two alphabets are used before the part number. The first alphabet represents the semiconductor used and the second alphabet represents its use.

First Letter
A- Germanium
B-Silicon
C-Gallium Arsenide
D-Indium Antimide

Second Letter
C-Audio frequency amplifier
D-Audio frequency power amplifier
F-Low power radio frequency amplifier
P-High power radio frequency amplifier

According to the American system of coding, the code begins with 2N which is followed by the number that indicates the time of design. A higher number indicates recent design.
Example is the transistor 2N 2222, 2N3055, 2N3904"
http://dmohankumar.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/familiarize-electronic-components-part-ii/

ShreyasR said:
So SL100, CL100, SK100 and CK100 are transistors which do not follow these standard naming conventions which are there, isn't it? So in my Analog electronics Laboratory viva, If they ask me something about components which follow european standard of naming or american standard of naming, I can at least tell something about it. But if they ask "What does S and L stand for in SL100, or something like that? According to my friends and seniors, such questions have been asked by the external examiners, though I feel it is a silly and a stupid thing to ask. So in case they ask such questions related to this, What should I answer?

there is NO definitive answer
As someone has already said, the manufacturers will name them what ever they like
sometimes it will follow a pattern sometimes it wont

SL100, CL100, SK100 and CK100 ... these could easily be the same transistor made by 4 different manufacturers. or they could just as easily be a mix of transistors and IC's from different manufacturers

Dave

Likes 1 person
That sounds like a convincing answer! Thanks Dave! :smile:

ShreyasR said:
According to my friends and seniors, such questions have been asked by the external examiners, though I feel it is a silly and a stupid thing to ask.

Agreed

Related to Naming of semiconductor devices

1. What is the purpose of naming semiconductor devices?

The naming of semiconductor devices is important for identifying and categorizing different types of electronic components. It allows for efficient communication and understanding among scientists, engineers, and manufacturers.

2. How are semiconductor devices named?

Semiconductor devices are typically named based on their function, structure, or material composition. For example, some may be named after their specific use, such as a diode or transistor, while others may be named after their components, such as a silicon-based device.

3. What are the different types of naming conventions for semiconductor devices?

There are several different naming conventions used for semiconductor devices, including International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), Joint Electron Device Engineering Council (JEDEC), and Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) standards. Each convention has its own set of rules and guidelines for naming devices.

4. Are there any naming conventions specific to certain types of semiconductor devices?

Yes, some naming conventions are specific to certain types of semiconductor devices. For example, integrated circuits (ICs) are named based on the type of logic they use, such as TTL (transistor-transistor logic) or CMOS (complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor).

5. How do I determine the naming convention for a specific semiconductor device?

The naming convention for a specific semiconductor device can typically be found by referencing the manufacturer's datasheet or by researching the device's specifications. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts or professionals in the field for guidance.