Nano technology - something for the future or just a hype?

In summary, it is wise to go for an education in nano technology, but you have to be okay with a lot of gritty physics.
kasse
Is it wise to go for an education in nano technology, or is it just a big hype? Nano technology is often divided into bio nanotechnology, nano electronics and nano material technology. Which one would you go for?

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to go to the USA for exchange one year. Any suggestions when it comes to universities that are good at nanotech?

kasse said:
Is it wise to go for an education in nano technology, or is it just a big hype? Nano technology is often divided into bio nanotechnology, nano electronics and nano material technology. Which one would you go for?

The second half of your message sounds like you have already made up your mind about the first half.

Nanotechnology is here to stay, it's just a fleeting soup of biology, chemistry and physics coming together. Some would say that it is physics maturing and becoming really useful to humanity. Other would say that nanotechnology is more dangerous than strangelets from the LHC.

I for one will take the master in nanotechnology. But it will be coupled with a lot of physics. Now I don't know what angle you will do nano from, but I suppose it's from at least a physical chemistry-angle. biotech-people doing nano makes me sick.

Then you probably will know that you will have to wade through most of the really gritty physics there is, a phd-course in condensed matter physics, probably one in non-relativistic quantum mechanics, and if you are really good, probably some QFT too.

But I wouldn't recommend nanotechnology if you are not inclined to either one of these two, computational physics or experimental physics.

What kind of field you should go into? hmm, tricky one. I would say it depends on what country you are going to work aso in. Like in some parts of europe it would be smarter to take a biophysics-nano-msc, because they have a large industry which are a bit needy for biophysicsts.

While other countries with a large steel-industry for example would be in need of material-nanotechnologists.

It's all about competetive awareness.

Vanadium 50 said:
The second half of your message sounds like you have already made up your mind about the first half.

I did.

I find physics to be most important at least when looking at fundamental nanotech research. You don't necessarily have to major in physics, but most of the work I see done is lead by condensed matter physicists. My area of interest is a bit away from the "applied" stuff though.

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of materials on an extremely small scale, typically at the nanometer level (1 nanometer = 1 billionth of a meter). It involves working with materials and structures that range in size from 1 to 100 nanometers, and has the potential to create new materials, devices, and systems with unique properties and functionalities.

2. Is nanotechnology just a hype?

No, nanotechnology is not just a hype. It has already made significant contributions in various fields such as medicine, electronics, energy, and environmental remediation. It has the potential to revolutionize industries and improve our quality of life in the future.

3. What are the potential applications of nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology has a wide range of potential applications, including drug delivery systems, water purification, energy storage, and electronics. It can also be used in developing new materials with enhanced properties, such as stronger and lighter materials for aerospace and transportation industries.

4. Are there any risks associated with nanotechnology?

As with any emerging technology, there are potential risks associated with nanotechnology. These include environmental and health risks, as well as ethical concerns related to the use of nanotechnology. However, extensive research is being conducted to address these risks and ensure the safe and responsible development and use of nanotechnology.

5. How can nanotechnology benefit society?

Nanotechnology has the potential to benefit society in many ways, such as improving medical treatments and diagnostics, creating more efficient and sustainable energy sources, and providing cleaner and safer water and air. It can also lead to the development of new products and industries, creating economic growth and job opportunities.