Nanofabrication in the automotive industry?

In summary, the speaker is a soon-to-be PhD graduate with experience in making nanoscale graphene and carbon nanotube devices and is looking for a job that combines this skill with their interest in cars, motorcycles, and airplanes. They are seeking advice on companies in the industry that have research programs involving semiconductor nanofabrication. Additionally, they mention the possibility of incorporating carbon nanotubes into steel and marketing it as a nanoengineered material.
hunter151
Hello all,

I am a soon to be PhD graduate with experience making nanoscale size graphene and carbon nanotube devices and studying their properties. I want to continue working with and manipulating tiny things, but want to move closer to something applicable and marketable. I also love cars, motorcycles, and airplanes. For an ideal next job, I would love to combine these two things. I was hoping people with insight into the industry could give some pointers as to where I should apply to be able to use some semiconductor nanofabrication skills while contributing to the industry. What are some companies in the industry that have these types of research programs?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also curious what responses you get as I am interested in both the nanofabrication and automotive industries.

Semiconductor and automobiles? I guess something along the lines of sensor design/fabrication.

For the carbon nanotube stuff you could always put some in a random steel alloy and say you've nanoengineered the steel.

1. What is nanofabrication and how is it used in the automotive industry?

Nanofabrication is the process of creating structures at the nanoscale level, typically using techniques such as lithography and etching. In the automotive industry, nanofabrication is used to create smaller, more efficient components and to improve the performance of materials used in vehicles.

2. What are the benefits of using nanofabrication in the automotive industry?

Nanofabrication allows for the creation of smaller and more precise components, which can lead to improved fuel efficiency and performance in vehicles. It also allows for the development of stronger and lighter materials, reducing the overall weight of a vehicle and improving its handling and durability.

3. How does nanofabrication impact the production process in the automotive industry?

Nanofabrication can greatly improve the production process in the automotive industry by allowing for the creation of smaller and more precise components. This can lead to faster and more efficient manufacturing, reducing production costs and increasing overall productivity.

4. Is nanofabrication being used in current automotive production?

Yes, nanofabrication is being used in current automotive production, particularly in the development of electric and hybrid vehicles. Many automotive companies are investing in nanotechnology research and incorporating nanofabrication techniques into their manufacturing processes.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using nanofabrication in the automotive industry?

One potential drawback is the high cost of implementing nanofabrication techniques and equipment in the automotive production process. Additionally, there may be concerns about the environmental impact of using nanomaterials in vehicles and the potential health risks associated with their production and use.