[NASA] Cosmological projects instead of space exploration

In summary, there is a debate within the engineering community about NASA's decision to prioritize its Mars project and halt progress on the WFIRST mission. Some argue that the current trend of private space ventures, such as SpaceX, shows that there is potential for profit in space exploration. However, others believe that NASA's role is crucial in funding important fields like theoretical physics and cosmology, which may not yield immediate profits but are still important for scientific advancement. The thread topic is open for discussion, but it is important to keep the conversation focused on the scientific and engineering aspects rather than political motives.
BlackholeGirl
NASA decided to stop *WFIRST and concentrate on Mars project (send humans to Mars).

What do you think about it?

In my opinion, since a lot of ventures have begun space developments such as SpaceX and this proves that rockets make money, NASA should tackle WFIRST. Generally, we cannot earn enough money from some academical fields such as theoretical physics and cosmology, but these fields are very important you know. To contribute them, we need money from a constitution: NASA. Therefore, I do not agree with the idea to turn WFIRST down.

This thread is in Engineering, so I anticipate most opinions may have a tendency.
However, to discuss this topic, please tell me various ideas.

I look forward to reading and discussing your claims!

*WFIRST: Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope-a mission concept to answer vital questions in both exoplanet detection and dark energy research. (NASA's website)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Tom.G
Physics news on Phys.org
Mod note: The thread topic is acceptable, but please keep the discussion non-political. I.E.,
-A discussion of the scientific driver for a policy is fine.
-A discussion of the political motive/goals for a policy is not allowed.

The OP is a bit open, but otherwise properly aimed. Let's keep the thread that way...

Likes BlackholeGirl
BlackholeGirl said:
In my opinion,...
Well, that's two of us with matching opinions.

Likes BlackholeGirl

1. What is the difference between cosmological projects and space exploration at NASA?

While both cosmological projects and space exploration involve studying objects and phenomena in space, they have different focuses. Cosmological projects specifically study the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe, including topics such as dark matter, dark energy, and the Big Bang theory. Space exploration, on the other hand, involves sending missions and astronauts to explore and gather data on objects within our solar system, such as planets, moons, and asteroids.

2. Why is NASA investing in cosmological projects instead of focusing solely on space exploration?

NASA's mission is to expand our knowledge and understanding of the universe, and both cosmological projects and space exploration play important roles in achieving this goal. By investing in cosmological projects, NASA is able to answer fundamental questions about the universe and our place in it, which in turn can inform and enhance our space exploration efforts.

3. How are cosmological projects conducted at NASA?

Cosmological projects at NASA involve a combination of observations, theoretical modeling, and collaborations with other agencies, universities, and international partners. NASA's major cosmological projects include the Hubble Space Telescope, the Chandra X-ray Observatory, and the James Webb Space Telescope, which gather data on objects and phenomena in the universe across different wavelengths of light.

4. What are some examples of recent cosmological projects at NASA?

Recent cosmological projects at NASA include the successful launch and deployment of the Parker Solar Probe, which is studying the Sun's outer atmosphere and solar wind, and the launch of the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS), which is searching for planets around other stars. NASA also has ongoing projects such as the Cosmic Microwave Background Explorer (CMB) and the Dark Energy Survey (DES) that continue to provide valuable insights into the universe.

5. How do cosmological projects at NASA benefit society?

Cosmological projects at NASA not only expand our knowledge and understanding of the universe, but also have practical applications and benefits for society. For example, technologies developed for space exploration and cosmological projects have led to advancements in areas such as telecommunications, medicine, and weather forecasting. Additionally, studying the universe can inspire new generations of scientists and engineers, and foster international collaborations and partnerships.