Natural Isomorphism b/w Dual Spaces Tensor Prod & Multilinear Form Space

In summary, natural isomorphism is a fundamental concept in mathematics that refers to a type of isomorphism that exists independently of any specific choice of coordinates or basis. It is more restrictive than regular isomorphism, as it requires the isomorphism to be independent of any basis or coordinates. In the context of dual spaces, tensor products, and multilinear form spaces, natural isomorphism allows for a unique correspondence between these spaces. This concept is important in mathematics as it allows for the study of abstract structures and has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
I am trying to prove the following.

Let $V_1, \ldots, V_k$ be finite dimensional vector spaces over a field $F$.
There is a natural isomorphism between $V_1^*\otimes\cdots\otimes V_k^*$ and $\mathcal L^k(V_1, \ldots, V_k;\ F)$.

Define a map $A:V_1^*\times\cdots\times V_k^*\to \mathcal L^k(V_1, \ldots, V_k;\ F)$ as
\begin{equation*}
A(\omega_1, \ldots, \omega_k)(v_1, \ldots, v_k)=\omega(v_1)\cdots\omega_k(v_k)
\end{equation*}
for all $(\omega_1, \ldots, \omega_k)\in V_1^*\times\cdots\times V_k^*$.
It can be seen that $A$ is a multilinear map.
By the universal property of tensor product, there exists a unique linear map $\tilde A: V_1^*\otimes\cdots\otimes V_k^*\to \mathcal L^{k}(V_1, \ldots, V_k; \ F)$ such that $\tilde A\circ \pi=A$.

We also know that
\begin{equation*}
\dim V_1^*\otimes\cdots\otimes V_k^*=\dim \mathcal L^k(V_1, \ldots, V_k; \ F)
\end{equation*}
Thus we just need to show that $\ker \tilde A=0$ to show that $V_1^*\otimes\cdots\otimes V_k^*$ and $\mathcal L^{k}(V_1, \ldots, V_k; \ F)$ are isomorphic.

My Problem: I want to show the triviality of the kernel in a basis free manner. But here I am stuck.

Can anybody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
I am trying to prove the following.

Let $V_1, \ldots, V_k$ be finite dimensional vector spaces over a field $F$.
There is a natural isomorphism between $V_1^*\otimes\cdots\otimes V_k^*$ and $\mathcal L^k(V_1, \ldots, V_k;\ F)$.

Define a map $A:V_1^*\times\cdots\times V_k^*\to \mathcal L^k(V_1, \ldots, V_k;\ F)$ as
\begin{equation*}
A(\omega_1, \ldots, \omega_k)(v_1, \ldots, v_k)=\omega(v_1)\cdots\omega_k(v_k)
\end{equation*}
for all $(\omega_1, \ldots, \omega_k)\in V_1^*\times\cdots\times V_k^*$.
It can be seen that $A$ is a multilinear map.
By the universal property of tensor product, there exists a unique linear map $\tilde A: V_1^*\otimes\cdots\otimes V_k^*\to \mathcal L^{k}(V_1, \ldots, V_k; \ F)$ such that $\tilde A\circ \pi=A$.

We also know that
\begin{equation*}
\dim V_1^*\otimes\cdots\otimes V_k^*=\dim \mathcal L^k(V_1, \ldots, V_k; \ F)
\end{equation*}
Thus we just need to show that $\ker \tilde A=0$ to show that $V_1^*\otimes\cdots\otimes V_k^*$ and $\mathcal L^{k}(V_1, \ldots, V_k; \ F)$ are isomorphic.

My Problem: I want to show the triviality of the kernel in a basis free manner. But here I am stuck.

Can anybody help?
Instead of trying to show that $\tilde A$ is injective, I think it would be easier to show that it is surjective. This should somehow be equivalent to the fact that a $k\times k$ matrix is a sum of rank $1$ matrices.

Opalg said:
Instead of trying to show that $\tilde A$ is injective, I think it would be easier to show that it is surjective. This should somehow be equivalent to the fact that a $k\times k$ matrix is a sum of rank $1$ matrices.
Hello Opalg,

Sorry for the late reply. I somehow forgot about this post.

I can show that $A$ is surjective by choosing a basis. I am getting more and more convinced that this cannot be done without choosing a basis.

caffeinemachine said:
I am getting more and more convinced that this cannot be done without choosing a basis.
I tend to agree. For one thing, I believe that the result is false if the spaces are infinite-dimensional. So you somehow need to make use of the fact that the spaces are finite-dimensional, and the obvious way is to choose bases for them.

1. What is natural isomorphism in the context of dual spaces, tensor products, and multilinear form spaces?

Natural isomorphism is a concept in mathematics that refers to a type of isomorphism that exists independently of any particular choice of coordinates or basis. In the context of dual spaces, tensor products, and multilinear form spaces, natural isomorphism means that there is a unique isomorphism between these spaces that does not depend on any specific basis or coordinates.

2. How is natural isomorphism different from regular isomorphism?

Natural isomorphism is a more restrictive concept than regular isomorphism. While regular isomorphism only requires that there is a bijective linear map between two spaces, natural isomorphism additionally requires that this map is independent of any choice of basis or coordinates. This means that natural isomorphism is a more fundamental and intrinsic property of the spaces involved.

3. What is the relationship between dual spaces and tensor products?

Dual spaces and tensor products are closely related concepts. The dual space of a vector space V is the space of all linear functionals on V, while the tensor product of two vector spaces V and W is a new vector space that captures the bilinear relationships between elements of V and W. The natural isomorphism between these two spaces means that there is a one-to-one correspondence between linear functionals on V and elements of the tensor product of V and its dual space.

4. How does multilinear form space fit into this concept of natural isomorphism?

Multilinear form space is a generalization of the concept of a linear functional. While a linear functional takes a single vector as input and outputs a scalar, a multilinear form takes multiple vectors as input and outputs a scalar. The natural isomorphism between dual spaces and tensor products extends to multilinear form spaces as well, meaning that there is a unique correspondence between multilinear forms and elements of the tensor product of the vector space and its dual space.

5. Why is natural isomorphism an important concept in mathematics?

Natural isomorphism is important because it allows us to study abstract mathematical structures without being tied down to specific choices of coordinates or bases. This makes it easier to see the underlying structure and relationships between different spaces. Natural isomorphism also has practical applications, such as in physics and engineering, where it allows us to work with vector spaces and their duals in a more general and flexible way.