Natural Numbers and Odd Numbers

In summary: So it shouldn't be that bad, should it?Still, I guess is the rype of thing that needs to be clarified just once, after which one can move on. So it shouldn't be that bad, should it?In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of subset and how it applies to natural numbers and odd numbers. It is mentioned that, by definition, any positive odd number is also a natural number, making the odd numbers a subset of the natural numbers even when there are infinitely many numbers. Some participants also bring up the convention of not considering 1 as a prime number, and how this is similar to the concept of proper subsets.
davidge
Given any finite set of natural numbers, it seems evident that the odd numbers form a subset of the natural numbers. But what happens "at infinity"? I mean, if we account for all infinitely many natural numbers, there would be also infinitely many odd numbers. In such case, is it still true that the odd ones form a subset of the natural ones?

<Title edited along with this note about the title. fresh_42>

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
davidge said:
Given any finite set of natural numbers, it seems evident that the odd numbers form a subset of the natural numbers. But what happens "at infinity"? I mean, if we account for all infinitely many natural numbers, there would be also infinitely many odd numbers. In such case, is it still true that the odd ones form a subset of the natural ones?

Obs: there is a mistake in the thread title. It should be "natural numbers and odd numbers".

What's the definition of subset?

PeroK said:
What's the definition of subset?
Given two sets ##A## and ##B##, ##A## is said to be a subset of ##B## if ##A \cap B = A## and ##A \cap B \neq B##.

davidge said:
Given two sets ##A## and ##B##, ##A## is said to be a subset of ##B## if ##A \cap B = A## and ##A \cap B \neq B##.

I wasn't expecting that!

I might prefer the following:

##A## is a subset of ##B## if ##x \in A \ \Rightarrow \ x \in B##

Likes davidge
PeroK said:
I wasn't expecting that!

I might prefer the following:

##A## is a subset of ##B## if ##x \in A \ \Rightarrow \ x \in B##
:smile:
So, since by definition any positive odd number is also a natural number, we conclude that the odd positive numbers form a subset of the natural numbers even when we have infinitely many numbers?

davidge said:
:smile:
So, since by definition any positive odd number is also a natural number, we conclude that the odd positive numbers form a subset of the natural numbers even when we have infinitely many numbers?

Yes.

Likes davidge
davidge said:
Usually a subset can be the full set: ##A \subseteq A##. In this case the second condition is not satisfied.

If the second condition is satisfied, it is a proper subset.

Edit: Better symbol.

Last edited:
Likes davidge
mfb said:
Usually a subset can be the full set: ##A \subset A##. In this case the second condition is not satisfied.

If the second condition is satisfied, it is a proper subset.
This is a bit nonsense. But definitions are definitions.

davidge said:
This is a bit nonsense. But definitions are definitions.
The only nonsense is that he should have written ##A \subseteq A ## instead of ##A \subset A##, but the rest and the main idea is correct. ##A \subseteq A## is a subset. ##A \subsetneq B## is a proper subset. The additional condition ##A \cap B \neq B## is unusual as long as one doesn't define a proper subset. To exclude equality makes the entire topic only unnecessarily complicated, IMO.

Likes davidge
Many mathematical statements would have to use "a subset of A or A itself" everywhere if you exclude the full set as subset.

It is like the convention that 1 is not a prime number. Otherwise you have "for every prime apart from 1" everywhere.

Likes davidge
mfb said:
Many mathematical statements would have to use "a subset of A or A itself" everywhere if you exclude the full set as subset.

I've always liked this convention as I find something very satisfying about:

A = B iff A is a subset of B and B is a subset of A.

Having to say "subset or equal to" would spoil that.

Likes davidge and fresh_42
mfb said:

It is like the convention that 1 is not a prime number. Otherwise you have "for every prime apart from 1" everywhere.
I don't know if just a convention; if 1 were prime, every number would be composite as n=n(1).

WWGD said:
I don't know if just a convention; if 1 were prime, every number would be composite as n=n(1).
If a unit was prime the entire concept would be meaningless. We have this (IMO senseless) discussion only because they learn at school "if only divisible by ##1## and itself". If they learned it correctly, this wouldn't be necessary.

fresh_42 said:
If a unit was prime the entire concept would be meaningless. We have this (IMO senseless) discussion only because they learn at school "if only divisible by ##1## and itself". If they learned it correctly, this wouldn't be necessary.
Yes, but I ( think I ) get mfb's point that , by strict definition, 1 is a(n) ( integer) prime, since it is divisible only by itself...and by 1.

WWGD said:
Yes, but I ( think I ) get mfb's point that , by strict definition, 1 is a(n) ( integer) prime, since it is divisible only by itself...and by 1.
But ##1## is neither irreducible (in ##\mathbb{Z}##) nor does ##1 \mid ab## imply ##1 \mid a## or ##1 \mid b##. It only happens both to be true as for every unit. Why did never ever ask anyone, why ##-1## isn't prime? It simply contradicts the idea behind it.

Likes davidge
fresh_42 said:
But ##1## is neither irreducible (in ##\mathbb{Z}##) nor does ##1 \mid ab## imply ##1 \mid a## or ##1 \mid b##. It only happens both to be true as for every unit. Why did never ever ask anyone, why ##-1## isn't prime? It simply contradicts the idea behind it.
Still, I guess is the rype of thing that needs to be clarified just once, after which one can move on.

Likes fresh_42

What are natural numbers?

Natural numbers are a set of positive whole numbers that are used for counting and ordering. These numbers start from 1 and continue infinitely. They do not include fractions or decimals.

What are odd numbers?

Odd numbers are a subset of natural numbers that are not divisible by 2. These numbers always have a remainder of 1 when divided by 2. They can be represented as 2n+1, where n is any natural number.

What is the difference between natural numbers and whole numbers?

Natural numbers include only positive whole numbers starting from 1, while whole numbers also include 0. In other words, whole numbers are a superset of natural numbers.

Can natural numbers be negative?

No, natural numbers cannot be negative. They only include positive whole numbers starting from 1.

What is the relationship between odd numbers and even numbers?

Odd numbers and even numbers are complementary sets. An even number is any number that is divisible by 2, while an odd number is not. This means that every natural number can be classified as either an odd or an even number.