Nature: How many papers really end up without a single citation

In summary, Nature investigated how many papers really end up without a single citation. The science that’s never been cited suggests that more than half of all academic articles remain uncited five years after their publication. Researchers worry that high rates of uncitedness point to a heap of useless or irrelevant research.
The science that’s never been cited.
Nature investigates how many papers really end up without a single citation.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-08404-0

One widely repeated estimate, reported in a controversial article in Science in 1990, suggests that more than half of all academic articles remain uncited five years after their publication2. Scientists genuinely fret about this issue, says Jevin West, an information scientist at the University of Washington in Seattle who studies large-scale patterns in research literature. After all, citations are widely recognized as a standard measure of academic influence: a marker that work not only has been read, but also has proved useful to later studies. Researchers worry that high rates of uncitedness point to a heap of useless or irrelevant research. “I can’t tell you how many people over dinner have asked me: ‘How much of the literature is never cited?’” West says.

Publishing by--and for?--the numbers
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/250/4986/1331

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
My experience is different. I have (out of more than 1000 publications), 4 with zero cites. Of the 4, 1 is in the list by mistake (it was never published and exists only on preprint servers), 2 are less than 5 years old, and 1 is legitimately in that category. That last one is a very detailed description of the construction techniques used foe a particular instrument. I wwouldn't expect it to get cited - if it is useful in building a future instrument, I expect they would just do it.

In the other direction, 10% of my papers generate 50% of my citations.

Finally, one of my least-cited papers is one I am proudest of: it was a measurement that definitely excluded a particular family of theories. Why was it not cited more? Because by settling the issue, people stopped working on these kinds of theories. So it got only 47 cites.

Likes berkeman

1. What percentage of papers end up without a single citation?

According to a study published in the journal Nature, approximately 10% of papers end up without a single citation.

2. Is there a difference in the likelihood of a paper receiving no citations based on its field of study?

Yes, the study found that papers in the fields of humanities and social sciences are more likely to have no citations compared to papers in the natural sciences and medicine.

3. Are there any factors that contribute to a paper receiving no citations?

There are several factors that can contribute to a paper receiving no citations, such as poor research design, lack of novelty or relevance, and limited dissemination of the paper.

4. Do papers with no citations have any impact on the scientific community?

While papers with no citations may not directly contribute to the advancement of science, they can still provide valuable insights and information that can be built upon by other researchers in the future.

5. Can papers with no citations still be considered successful?

Success in science is not solely determined by the number of citations a paper receives. Papers with no citations can still be considered successful if they contribute to the knowledge base, generate discussion, or lead to future research in the field.