Navier-Stokes (Low-Re Spherical)

In summary, the conversation is about solving a question regarding the pressure as a harmonic function in a low-Re flow past a sphere. The solution given is P = P_{\infty} - \mu\nabla\cdot (U/r) where P_{\infty} is the pressure far away from the sphere. The speaker has already found the pressure, velocity, stream function and vorticity, but their supervisor has said they did not fully answer the question. The results given by the speaker are \Psi = A/r + Br + Cr^{2} , P_{\infty} - P = (3Ua\mu cos\vartheta)/2r^{2} and V_{\
alvi123
Navier-Stokes (Low-Re Flow past a Sphere)

My first time posting..

I am looking for guidance in how to solve this question : "Show that the pressure is a HARMONIC FUNCTION ([tex]\nabla^2 P = 0[/tex] I did that), and that the following solution [tex]P = P_{\infty}[/tex] - [tex]\mu\nabla\cdot[/tex] (U/r) where [tex]P_{\infty}[/tex] is the pressure far away from the sphere, is harmonic and satisfies the appropriate boundary conditions. "

Background : This is trying to find the velocity, pressure, vorticity and streamfunction of SLOW FLOW around a sphere. Assumptions are incompressible, steady flow and no slip. Boundary conditions are that when r = a [tex]V_{\theta} = 0[/tex] [tex]V_{r} = 0[/tex] where a is the radius of the sphere and U is the flow speed in the Z direction.

I thought i did ALL the work when i found the pressure, velocity, stream function and vorticity already, but when i solved for the pressure...my supervisor said i didnt answer the question. To cut a 6 page derviation short, i will just give the results : [tex]\Psi = A/r + Br + Cr^{2}[/tex] , [tex]P_{\infty} - P = (3Ua\mu cos\vartheta)/2[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
r^{2} and V_{\theta} = (Ur/a)sin\varthetaI have been trying to solve this for weeks and still can't seem to get the answer, so any help and advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

What is the Navier-Stokes equation for Low-Re Spherical flow?

The Navier-Stokes equation for Low-Re Spherical flow is a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a viscous fluid in a spherical coordinate system. It takes into account the effects of viscosity, pressure, and acceleration on the fluid flow.

What is the significance of Low-Re Spherical flow in fluid dynamics?

Low-Re Spherical flow is an important case in fluid dynamics as it represents the flow of a fluid with low Reynolds number in a spherical geometry. This type of flow is commonly observed in many natural and industrial processes such as viscous flows in pipes, blood flow in arteries, and ocean currents around spherical objects.

What are the assumptions made in the Navier-Stokes equation for Low-Re Spherical flow?

The Navier-Stokes equation for Low-Re Spherical flow assumes that the flow is steady (time-invariant), incompressible, and laminar (no turbulence). It also assumes that the fluid has constant density and viscosity, and that the flow is axisymmetric about the spherical coordinates.

What are the applications of the Navier-Stokes equation for Low-Re Spherical flow?

The Navier-Stokes equation for Low-Re Spherical flow has many practical applications in engineering and science. It is used to model and predict fluid flows in various systems, such as the design of aircraft wings, wind turbines, and water treatment processes. It is also used in weather forecasting, oceanography, and biomedical research.

What are the challenges in solving the Navier-Stokes equation for Low-Re Spherical flow?

Solving the Navier-Stokes equation for Low-Re Spherical flow is a complex task due to its non-linear nature and the presence of multiple variables. It also requires high computational resources and numerical techniques to handle the mathematical equations. Additionally, the boundary conditions and initial conditions must be carefully chosen to accurately model the flow behavior.