Navigating a Physics vs. EE Degree: Freshman's Concerns

In summary: You can even work on detector physics projects and also on accelerator physics projects. Heck, you could even even do both at the same time if you have the bandwidth. Heck, you could even do both at the same time if you have the bandwidth.The majority of EEs would be working (on the electronics side) on read out boards doing digital system design at the board level and with FPGAs. There are also a good number of EEs working on the detectors themselves in designing new detectors, doing RF systems for the accelerators, power distribution and management and the like.Thanks for all the answers.If you consider job and money you can't be a physicist! :)
sloan13
I am currently an EE student, but I love physics. I want to switch to Physics but am too concerned about the job market. I am only a freshman, and I think I would like EE but would one day want to join with fusion research as a physicist. I know I would need some kind of physics PhD.

The thing keeping me from switching majors is the job market for physicist vs. engineers. I know a lot of PhD physicists end up unemployed or severely underemployed. I think EE is much more safe. I don't want to double major because it would add at least 3 more semesters. Could I go from a BS in EE straight to a PhD physics program or is that not possible. If so, would engineering firms still hire me if I had a PhD in Physics?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
To enter a physics graduate program you are expected to have a physics BS or have taken at least most of the equivalent classwork.

Stick with engineering. Much more stable job opportunities. I would say that all your fears are well founded.

Without an actual engineering degree, engineering firms will shy away from hiring you. Why? Because they can not bill you as an engineer...they have to bill you as an non-engineer which means less profit for you and them.

Lock in your engineering degree. If you want to play with physics after that...have a ball, yet have a good paying stable job in meantime.

Do you guys think a minor in physics could get me into a PhD program?

sloan13 said:
Do you guys think a minor in physics could get me into a PhD program?

To enter a physics graduate program you are expected to have a physics BS or have taken at least most of the equivalent classwork.

sloan13 said:
I am currently an EE student, but I love physics. I want to switch to Physics but am too concerned about the job market. I am only a freshman, and I think I would like EE but would one day want to join with fusion research as a physicist. I know I would need some kind of physics PhD.

The thing keeping me from switching majors is the job market for physicist vs. engineers. I know a lot of PhD physicists end up unemployed or severely underemployed. I think EE is much more safe. I don't want to double major because it would add at least 3 more semesters. Could I go from a BS in EE straight to a PhD physics program or is that not possible. If so, would engineering firms still hire me if I had a PhD in Physics?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Some EE's work on plasmas and fusion:

http://www.engr.wisc.edu/ece/ece-research-priorities-energy.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Most experimental physics projects employ as many or even more electrical engineers as they do physicists. I'm an electrical engineer and among other projects, I'm working on a high-energy physics experiment. I may not understand the deep math behind lepton flavor violation but it is really fun and satisfying work.

analogdesign said:
Most experimental physics projects employ as many or even more electrical engineers as they do physicists. I'm an electrical engineer and among other projects, I'm working on a high-energy physics experiment. I may not understand the deep math behind lepton flavor violation but it is really fun and satisfying work.

Oh cool. What kind of things to you do for these projects? Of course, it would depend on the project but give some examples.

Well, I design integrated circuits so I would design a custom chip to read out a particle detector. Only very large detectors need chips. I worked on one high-energy project in the 90s when I was a student and I'm working on another now. I'm also working on readout chips for scientific imagers like X-ray and electron microscope cameras.

The majority of EEs would be working (on the electronics side) on read out boards doing digital system design at the board level and with FPGAs. There are also a good number of EEs working on the detectors themselves in designing new detectors, doing RF systems for the accelerators, power distribution and management and the like.

Thanks for all the answers.

If you consider job and money you can't be a physicist! :)
physics needs love! :)

sloan13 said:
Oh cool. What kind of things to you do for these projects? Of course, it would depend on the project but give some examples.

This is why I started the thread on the field of Accelerator Physics (and I also included a mention on Detector Physics as well). It appears that a lot of people simply never realized that one really doesn't have to choose one or the other. You can stay in EE and work on projects that have a huge overlap with physics. Both Accelerator physics and Detector physics are two such examples. I can easily show you high energy physics graduate students working on the detectors they had to build, and you'll never be able to tell the difference between them, and an EE graduate student, and vice versa.

Depending on what you focus in in EE, you can do a lot of physics and be involved in physics projects and experiments. And the same can be said about physics students. Those who focused on the RF structure aspects of accelerating structures have similar skills as EE students. It is why many physics students in this field of study have a greater chance of working in industries and private firms than your standard physics PhDs.

As to going into Physics PhD program from EE degree, this has been done and not totally uncommon. However, you will not be equipped with all the necessary knowledge and will need remedial courses to get up to speed. In other words, you will have quite a bit of catching up to do, especially in passing the qualifier.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
Depending on what you focus in in EE, you can do a lot of physics and be involved in physics projects and experiments. And the same can be said about physics students. Those who focused on the RF structure aspects of accelerating structures have similar skills as EE students. It is why many physics students in this field of study have a greater chance of working in industries and private firms than your standard physics PhDs.
Correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying that RF is the specialty that works with accelerator and such?

ZapperZ said:
As to going into Physics PhD program from EE degree, this has been done and not totally uncommon. However, you will not be equipped with all the necessary knowledge and will need remedial courses to get up to speed. In other words, you will have quite a bit of catching up to do, especially in passing the
So I wrong would pretty much end up double majoring anyways?

ZapperZ said:
This is why I started the thread on the field of Accelerator Physics (and I also included a mention on Detector Physics as well). It appears that a lot of people simply never realized that one really doesn't have to choose one or the other. You can stay in EE and work on projects that have a huge overlap with physics. Both Accelerator physics and Detector physics are two such examples. I can easily show you high energy physics graduate students working on the detectors they had to build, and you'll never be able to tell the difference between them, and an EE graduate student, and vice versa.
And to be honest, I already read this thread but didn't know if "jobs go begging" meant a lot of jobs or no jobs. Lol

Related to Navigating a Physics vs. EE Degree: Freshman's Concerns

1. What is the main difference between a Physics and EE degree?

The main difference between a Physics and EE degree is the focus of the curriculum. Physics programs typically focus on the fundamental principles and theories of the physical world, while EE programs focus on the application of those principles to design and develop electrical systems and devices.

2. Can I switch from one degree to another during my freshman year?

It is possible to switch from one degree to another during your freshman year, but it may require taking additional courses and extending your time in school. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision to switch degrees.

3. What are the job opportunities for Physics and EE graduates?

Both Physics and EE graduates have a wide range of job opportunities available to them. Physics graduates can work in research, teaching, or in industries such as aerospace, defense, and healthcare. EE graduates can work in fields such as telecommunications, renewable energy, and electronics design.

4. Which degree is more challenging?

Both Physics and EE degrees require a strong aptitude for math and critical thinking. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on individual strengths and interests. It is important to choose a degree that aligns with your strengths and passions to ensure success.

5. How can I balance the coursework for both degrees?

Balancing the coursework for both degrees can be challenging, but it is not impossible. It is important to prioritize your time and stay organized. Make use of study groups and resources provided by your school to help manage the workload. Communicate with your professors if you are struggling to find a balance.