Navigating Difficult Math: Intuition vs Proofs

In summary, when faced with more difficult math problems, it may not be possible to fully understand the concepts intuitively or quickly derive them in your head. Instead, it is helpful to approach the problem using a variety of techniques and tools, such as using intuition, equations, and basic theorems. There is no one right way to approach a problem, but by using different strategies, you can gain a deeper understanding and find solutions.
JanClaesen
So how should I approach more difficult math?
On a lower math level it is possible to really understand a certain property, relation, formula, ... you can see where it's coming from: intuitive and/or by quickly derivating it in your head.

But as the math becomes more difficult, this approach becomes of course impossible, the proofs become too hard to 'quickly derivate them in your head', so do I just have to accept certain properties, trusting on a proof I made in the past, without 'really' understanding what I'm doing?
And what about certain intuitive concepts rigorously defined, like limits. Sometimes the 'symbols and calculations' make sense in a certain proof, but I don't really have the feeling I really understand what I just did, it doesn't seem reducible to fundamental logic/axioma's, there's no intuitive way to understand it.

I hope this post makes a bit sense. :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
When you approach an unfamiliar problem, you start taking tools out of your tool box until you've solved it.

If you're doing a geometric problem, try using your intuition to find obvious solutions. If you're working with something very algebraic, start throwing down equations. If you are working with objects with simple properties (sets, algebras, topologies), focus on their definitions and the basic theorems behind them.

There's no one way to do anything. But every technique you learn has some applicability to new problems, so look at each new problem from as many angles as you can.

Related to Navigating Difficult Math: Intuition vs Proofs

1. What is the difference between intuition and proofs in math?

Intuition in math refers to our innate understanding or perception of a mathematical concept or problem without relying on formal rules or formulas. Proofs, on the other hand, provide a logical and rigorous justification for a mathematical statement or theorem.

2. Can intuition be relied upon in solving difficult math problems?

While intuition can be a helpful tool in solving math problems, it is not always reliable, especially in more complex or abstract situations. Relying solely on intuition can lead to incorrect solutions and a lack of understanding of the underlying principles.

3. How can one improve their intuition in math?

Intuition in math can be improved through practice and exposure to a variety of mathematical concepts and problems. It is also important to understand the underlying principles and relationships between different concepts.

4. Are proofs necessary in math?

Proofs are an essential part of math as they provide a logical and rigorous justification for mathematical statements and theorems. They allow for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and help to ensure the accuracy of mathematical results.

5. Is one approach (intuition or proofs) better than the other in math?

Both intuition and proofs have their strengths and weaknesses in math. While intuition can help with problem-solving and understanding, proofs provide a solid foundation and ensure accuracy. It is important to strike a balance between the two approaches and use them in conjunction with each other.