Navy Nuclear Enlisted: Benefits, A School & STA-21

In summary, the individual is about to go to basic training as a Nuke and has questions about A school, time for working out, and the advantages of surface vs. sub. They also have questions about the STA-21 program and how to apply for it. They have been provided with a link for information on foreign ports and the STA-21 program, and are advised to do further research and talk to others for more information.
the12394
Hi everyone,

I am about to go to basic training before going in as a Nuke. I was hoping if I could get some answers to a few questions I have. What is the life like in A school? How long is the school and how much time do you have for other things like working out? What are the major advantages of doing either surface or sub? For example, as a sub you wouldn't get to port in other countries I'm assuming. Also, does anyone have any experience with the STA-21 program (Seaman to Admiral)? Really hoping to understand how to apply and what I need to do to get accepted by this program. Answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hey there,

Congratulations on your decision to join the Navy as a Nuke! A school can vary in length depending on your specific job within the Nuke field, but it typically ranges from 6-12 months. During A school, you will have some time for working out, but it will also depend on your schedule and how much free time you have. As for the advantages of surface vs. sub, it really depends on your personal preferences and what you are looking for in your career. Surface ships do have the opportunity to port in other countries, but subs also have unique experiences and missions. It's important to do your research and talk to people who have experience in both areas to figure out what is best for you. As for the STA-21 program, I don't have personal experience with it, but I do know that it is a highly competitive program and requires strong academic performance and leadership skills. I suggest reaching out to a recruiter or someone in the program for more information on how to apply and what the requirements are. Best of luck to you in your training and future Navy career!

1. What are the benefits of being a Navy Nuclear Enlisted?

There are several benefits to being a Navy Nuclear Enlisted, including a guaranteed job in the Navy, specialized training in nuclear technology, potential for career advancement, and competitive pay and benefits.

2. What is A School for Navy Nuclear Enlisted?

A School is the initial training program for Navy Nuclear Enlisted, where they learn the basics of nuclear power and operations. It typically lasts around 6 months and prepares sailors for their first assignment on a nuclear-powered ship or submarine.

3. How long is the STA-21 program for Navy Nuclear Enlisted?

The STA-21 (Seaman to Admiral-21) program is a commissioning program for enlisted sailors who want to become officers. It typically lasts 2-4 years, depending on the sailor's educational background, and includes college coursework and officer training.

4. What are the requirements to enter the Navy Nuclear Enlisted program?

The requirements to enter the Navy Nuclear Enlisted program include being a U.S. citizen, passing the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) with a high score, being physically fit, and having a high school diploma or equivalent. Additional requirements may vary depending on the specific job within the program.

5. What career opportunities are available for Navy Nuclear Enlisted?

Navy Nuclear Enlisted have a variety of career opportunities within the Navy, including serving on nuclear-powered ships or submarines, working in nuclear power plants, and even pursuing a commission as an officer through programs like STA-21 or the Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate program. They may also have opportunities for advanced training and education in the nuclear field.