Near the speed of light time slows down but not at everyday speeds?

In summary, the group discussed time dilation at different speeds, including everyday speeds and the concept of motion being relative. They also discussed calculating time dilation using the gamma factor and the effects of commuting on one's lifespan.
Nick tringali
Hello, just some general questions I have been thinking about
1. So as you approach the speed of light time slows down, but why not at everyday speeds like walking around? I know people are going to say time slowing down only matters at extremely high speeds. However, shouldn't time dilation effect all speeds not just very fast ones even if it is by a number that is so small? In my mind, there has to be an amount of time slowing down, even if it is so small, that occurs at everyday speeds. If time dilation doesn't occur at slow speeds and only fast ones, why is that the case, is there like a threshold speed? Can you calculate time dilation for someone driving there car at 20 miles per hour? Let me know if this question makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nick tringali said:
1. So as you approach the speed of light time slows down, but why not at everyday speeds like walking around?
It does slow down (well - that's not really what happens at any speed, but it's a close enough description for the purposes of this question). If you and I synchronise our watches and then you walk to the other side of the room and back at speed ##v## then my watch will show elapsed time ##T## and yours will show elapsed time ##\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}T##. If you jog, (and if my mental arithmetic is reliable) that'll come out to around five hundred billionths of a nanosecond difference per second you spend jogging, which is why you probably haven't noticed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes David Lewis, Grasshopper, vanhees71 and 2 others
The question makes plenty of sense : the answer is that time dilation isn't a linear function of velocity : graph

Likes Nick tringali
Nick tringali said:
Hello, just some general questions I have been thinking about
1. So as you approach the speed of light time slows down, but why not at everyday speeds like walking around? I know people are going to say time slowing down only matters at extremely high speeds. However, shouldn't time dilation effect all speeds not just very fast ones even if it is by a number that is so small? In my mind, there has to be an amount of time slowing down, even if it is so small, that occurs at everyday speeds. If time dilation doesn't occur at slow speeds and only fast ones, why is that the case, is there like a threshold speed? Can you calculate time dilation for someone driving there car at 20 miles per hour? Let me know if this question makes sense.
There is no such thing as approaching the speed of light, only approaching the speed of light relative to some reference frame. Motion is relative, not absolute.

The situation is complicated by gravity on the surface of the Earth, but in an inertial scenario (no forces and no gravity) velocity-based time-dilation is reciprocal. If you are moving relative to someone else, then you both measure the other's time as dilated by the same amount. If you are approaching the speed of light relative to them, then they are approaching the speed of light relative to you.

Likes Nick tringali
I calculated one time that my lifetime of commuting had added another few seconds to my lifespan, but was disappointed it was not enough to justify taking up cigarette smoking

• Haha
Likes Ibix, hutchphd and Nick tringali
Time dilation can be calculated at any speed. All you need to find is the gamma factor,$$\gamma=\frac 1 {\sqrt {1 - \frac {v^2} {c^2}}} .$$ For slow speeds such as 20 miles per hour or 9 m/s calculating the gamma factor by plugging in the formula becomes problematic because it is very close close to 1 since $$\frac{v^2}{c^2}=\dfrac{1}{10000000000000000}=10^{-16}.$$A series expansion comes to the rescue at this point. To an extremely good approximation we can write $$\gamma=\frac 1 {\sqrt {1 - \frac {v^2} {c^2}}}\approx 1+\frac {v^2} {2c^2}=1+5\times 10^{-17}.$$ This says that if your twin brother travels at 20 miles per hour for a year as measured by his clock, you will age by 1 year and an additional ##\frac {v^2} {2c^2}=1.4\times 10^{-8}~\mathrm{s}=14~\mathrm{ns}.##

• Informative
Likes Nick tringali
Thank you all.

Likes sdkfz and Ibix
BWV said:
I calculated one time that my lifetime of commuting had added another few seconds to my lifespan, but was disappointed it was not enough to justify taking up cigarette smoking
Much as I like this comment, I ought to point out that commuting has no effect on your lifespan - you still only experience your three-score years and ten. From your perspective, your stay-at-home twin ages slightly faster than you.

(Note that the scenario discussed here is different from the symmetric I-see-your-clock-tick-slow-you-see-mine-tick-slow behaviour for inertial motion. This is fine because at least one of you is not in inertial motion.)

Likes etotheipi
Ibix said:
Much as I like this comment, I ought to point out that commuting has no effect on your lifespan - you still only experience your three-score years and ten. From your perspective, your stay-at-home twin ages slightly faster than you.

(Note that the scenario discussed here is different from the symmetric I-see-your-clock-tick-slow-you-see-mine-tick-slow behaviour for inertial motion. This is fine because at least one of you is not in inertial motion.)
You must not be married, this was all from the standpoint of my spouse

• Haha
Likes Nick tringali and Dale

1. How does time slow down near the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time slows down for an object as it approaches the speed of light. This is because as an object's velocity increases, its mass also increases, which in turn affects the passage of time.

2. Does time always slow down at high speeds?

No, time only slows down significantly near the speed of light. At everyday speeds, the effects of time dilation are negligible and not noticeable.

3. Can we observe time dilation in our daily lives?

Yes, we can observe the effects of time dilation in our daily lives through GPS technology. The satellites that make up the GPS system have to account for the time dilation effects due to their high speeds in orbit.

4. How does time dilation affect aging?

As an object's velocity increases, time slows down for that object. This means that for a person traveling at near the speed of light, time would pass slower for them compared to someone who is stationary. This can result in the traveling person aging slower than the stationary person.

5. Can anything travel at the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, it is impossible for anything with mass to reach the speed of light. As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy also increase, making it more and more difficult to accelerate further.