Necessary conditions for a Penrose diagram?

In summary, it seems that rotational symmetry is not necessary, since people draw Penrose diagrams for Kerr black holes. If you don't have rotational symmetry, how do you know what 2-surface is represented by a given point on the 2-dimensional diagram? Would this have to be defined on a case-by-case basis? Asymptotic flatness isn't necessary, because we can make Penrose diagrams for FRW spacetimes.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
What conditions are necessary if it's to be possible to make a Penrose diagram for a 3+1-dimensional spacetime?

It seems that rotational symmetry is not necessary, since people draw Penrose diagrams for Kerr black holes. If you don't have rotational symmetry, how do you know what 2-surface is represented by a given point on the 2-dimensional diagram? Would this have to be defined on a case-by-case basis?

Conformal flatness doesn't seem to be necessary, since the Schwarzschild spacetime isn't conformally flat.

Asymptotic flatness isn't necessary, because we can make Penrose diagrams for FRW spacetimes.

IIRC Penrose distinguishes strict conformal diagrams from diagrams that aren't strict. (I may be misremembering the word.) How does this factor in?

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
bcrowell said:
people draw Penrose diagrams for Kerr black holes.

But IIRC they are different for different "cuts" through the spacetime; for example, the diagram for the equatorial plane is different from the diagram for a cut through the "poles" of the hole.

Likes bcrowell
bump

Interesting question; I do not have an answer, but a couple of questions.

1) What is the defining property of a Penrose diagram?
2) What is the mathematical definition of its construction?

Unfortunately I was not able to find Penrose's original paper Conformal treatment of infinity. I would try to answer (1) and (2) as follows: First one "projects" 4-dim spacetime to 2-dim spacetime; then one applies a conformal rescaling. Both mappings must preserve the conformal structure, i.e. map light rays to light rays, preserve the causal relation between any two points i.e. preserve the causal past an future of any two points etc. In addition the conformal rescaling shall bring the 2-dim. spacetime to the standard "diamond".

I guess that the existence of the conformal transformation can be proven quite easily. The main problem for me seems to be the "projection" b/c one must map topological 2-spheres to points. First question which I cannot answer is whether this is valid for arbitrary spacetimes w/o any special symmetry.

tom.stoer said:
Unfortunately I was not able to find Penrose's original paper Conformal treatment of infinity.

Here are a couple of online sources:
Winitzki, https://sites.google.com/site/winitzki/index/topics-in-general-relativity
http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2009/11/causal-diagrams.html

There is also a discussion in Hartle and Hawking, and also a very extensive but nontechnical one in Penrose's popular-level book Cycles of Time.

I don't have the two books handy, just my notes on them.

tom.stoer said:
First one "projects" 4-dim spacetime to 2-dim spacetime; then one applies a conformal rescaling. Both mappings must preserve the conformal structure, i.e. map light rays to light rays, preserve the causal relation between any two points i.e. preserve the causal past an future of any two points etc. In addition the conformal rescaling shall bring the 2-dim. spacetime to the standard "diamond"

I think there is also an initial step here where you adjoin idealized surfaces at infinity such as [itex]\mathscr{I}^+[/itex]. I guess this would typically, but not always, go as far as constructing the maximal extension of the original spacetime.

The diamond isn't a requirement, and it isn't how most spacetimes come out. It's just how Minkowski space comes out.

From Peter Donis's #2, it also sounds like there is the option of taking a 3-slice and then drawing that as 2 dimensions, and that can be used in cases where there is a lower symmetry. In fact, it's not really clear to me whether this is better thought of in general as a projection or a slice. People certainly do customarily describe it as a projection -- they talk about each point as representing a 2-sphere. But that actually violates the condition you suggested that the projection should preserve the light-cone structure. For example, let event A be me, here, right now, and let event B be me at a time that's one second later. Let A* and B* be the corresponding points on a Penrose diagram of Minkowski space. Then B* represents a huge 3-sphere stretching around the universe, most of whose points are outside A's light cone.

I think I may understand this better now. There is some relevant discussion in section 3.2.2 of the Winitzki book, https://sites.google.com/site/winitzki/index/topics-in-general-relativity .

For example, the Schwarzschild spacetime isn't conformally flat, but we can draw a Penrose diagram for it. What we do is to project out two dimensions, and do so in such a way that lightlike geodesics in the full spacetime still look like lightlike geodesics in the 2-d version. Every 2-dimensional manifold is conformally flat, so we're guaranteed to be able to make a Penrose diagram after that.

1. What is a Penrose diagram?

A Penrose diagram, also known as a Penrose-Carter diagram, is a two-dimensional representation of the spacetime geometry of a black hole or other curved space-time. It was developed by physicist Roger Penrose as a way to visualize and analyze the causal structure of spacetime.

2. What are necessary conditions for a Penrose diagram to be valid?

There are three necessary conditions for a Penrose diagram to be valid: 1) The spacetime must be static or stationary, meaning that it does not change over time. 2) The spacetime must be spherically symmetric, meaning that it looks the same from all angles. 3) The spacetime must be asymptotically flat, meaning that it approaches flat Minkowski space at large distances.

3. Why is it important to have these conditions for a Penrose diagram?

These conditions are important because they allow for a consistent and accurate representation of the spacetime geometry. Without these conditions, the diagram would not accurately depict the causal structure and could lead to incorrect interpretations and conclusions.

4. Can a Penrose diagram be used for any type of spacetime?

No, a Penrose diagram is only valid for certain types of spacetimes, as mentioned in the necessary conditions. In addition, the spacetime must also be globally hyperbolic, meaning that there is a unique solution to the equations of motion. This excludes spacetimes with closed timelike curves or other pathological features.

5. How is a Penrose diagram constructed?

A Penrose diagram is constructed by starting with the full four-dimensional spacetime and performing a conformal transformation to map it onto a two-dimensional diagram. This transformation preserves the causal structure but distorts the distances and angles. The resulting diagram is then divided into regions based on the behavior of light rays, with the boundary of each region representing the event horizon or singularity.