Need a Book Bag That Can Handle 200lbs? Any Suggestions?

In summary: He lifts weights, he's not going to have a sewing machine. Sheesh! :wink:He lifts weights, he's not going to have a sewing machine. Sheesh! :wink::eek: Next you’re going to tell me that OrangeDog doesn’t have knitting needles ... or lamb-shaped pillows :nb)He lifts weights, he's not going to have a sewing machine. Sheesh! :wink::eek: Next you’re going to tell me that OrangeDog doesn’t have knitting needles ... or lamb-shaped pillows :nb)He lifts weights
OrangeDog
As some of you might know, one of my hobbies is lifting stones. Besides regular weightlifting I do strongman things too. I need a book bag (or something I can put on my back like a hikers/adventurers/Indiana Jones bag) that can hold about 200lbs of "stuff", more would be even better. Right now I have a military canvass bag that can hold about 150lbs, but it requires a "bear hug" grip and is filled to max capacity as of now. So, any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
By book bag, do you mean knapsack? That's what we call them here.

I'm sure there are hiker's backpacks that would hold 200 lbs. They'll have an aluminum frame to spread the weight across your back.

DaveC426913 said:
By book bag, do you mean knapsack? That's what we call them here.

I'm sure there are hiker's backpacks that would hold 200 lbs. They'll have an aluminum frame to spread the weight across your back.

I dunno. They are built to be light weight, so I think the seams or nylon would rip. Maybe they could be reinforced.

You could look for a backpack in a thrift store, then reinforce it with leather or canvas.

If you’ve got a sewing machine at hand, you could make a custom ultra-heavy-duty knapsack/book bag/ backpack with works :woot: Layers of leather, canvas, and/or the highest quality woven materials with iron-on interfacing in between. You can add plenty of foam on the straps and really good buckles (not sure what the best brand is; I never needed buckles that strong). If you did do this, then you could make it look good, too. Who says heavy-duty has can’t look nice??

This is my kind of knapsack. You could easily replicate the style :smile:

=tbn:ANd9GcQjNLZsSKp99suKxyM9NP0npxT0NQ8coDHxW9cR2V6i021jZIEeN-tO8AizTji4pQfnlkoWHcNbng&usqp=CAE.jpg

Oooh, yeah, that’d be sweet. Of course, this would be very heavy, but that’s you intent, so that wouldn’t matter.

Could always look at a army surplus store, if there are any in your area. We have Crown Surplus here, and they sell all sorts ruck sacks that are meant to hold heavy heavy loads. Though I must add, they probably won't be the best on your back, are likely to be bulky, and you also might look a little out of place.

My hiking backpack does the trick for me. I can carry twice what my fellow students do!

ProfuselyQuarky said:
If you’ve got a sewing machine at hand,
He lifts weights, he's not going to have a sewing machine. Sheesh! :wink:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and davenn
berkeman said:
He lifts weights, he's not going to have a sewing machine. Sheesh! :wink:
:eek: Next you’re going to tell me that OrangeDog doesn’t have knitting needles ... or lamb-shaped pillows :nb)

Likes Astronuc
Hiking backpacks won't work... who the hell is going on hiking trips with 100+ lbs of gear? Those packs have a maximum capacity well below 100lbs, let alone 200lbs.

Honestly for strongman you're probably going to need to implement some DIY solution. As you're aware, most strongman equipment isn't stuff you can just go find at a store. I think a good solution would be some heavy chains wrapped in padding. You can link them over your shoulders and around your waist/back to distribute the load well, and just get some heavy duty padding. A thick chain can easily exceed 200lbs.

I assume you want your hands free, correct? If not what's wrong with a typical keg/sandbag?

OrangeDog said:
I need a book bag (or something I can put on my back like a hikers/adventurers/Indiana Jones bag) that can hold about 200lbs of "stuff", more would be even better.
Wait, wait, I think I've got it. And you can even make a little money on the side as you train.

You can start a new Uber-style service, carrying passengers around your town on your back. You can just use a Fireman's Carry, and you won't need a harness or anything. Just start your pedometer, pick up your passenger, and jog/run them to their destination. You can charge by the mile, and use cell phones to arrange the "rides". Brilliant! :smile:

http://www.louistenenbaum.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/firemans-carry.jpg
firemans-carry.jpg

Likes Astronuc, ProfuselyQuarky and DaveC426913
dipole said:
Hiking backpacks won't work... who the hell is going on hiking trips with 100+ lbs of gear? Those packs have a maximum capacity well below 100lbs, let alone 200lbs.
True I suppose. The fabric definitely won't hold that weight but I wonder how well the frame might. Maybe keep the frame and replace the fabric?

What do they use in the military? No army surplus stores near you?

dipole said:
Well, even though he doesn't have a sewing machine, I'm pretty sure he has a welder in his garage. He can use an aluminum backpack as a model, and weld up his own super-heavy duty version out of steel tubing. That's assuming that my personal Uber idea doesn't work out for some reason...

I would rather just put someone in a wheelbarrow than carry them. I can get at least 3 customers to their destination that way.

Likes berkeman

Related to Need a Book Bag That Can Handle 200lbs? Any Suggestions?

1. What materials should I look for in a book bag that can handle 200lbs?

A book bag that can handle 200lbs should be made of durable and strong materials such as canvas, heavy-duty nylon, or ballistic nylon. These materials can withstand the weight and provide sufficient support for the contents of the bag.

2. Are there any specific features that I should look for in a book bag for heavy loads?

Yes, there are some important features to consider when looking for a book bag that can handle 200lbs. These include reinforced stitching, padded straps, and a sturdy frame or structure to evenly distribute the weight. Additionally, look for a bag with multiple compartments to distribute the weight evenly and avoid strain on one specific area.

3. Is there a weight limit for book bags?

Most book bags are not designed to carry weights as heavy as 200lbs. It is important to check the weight limit specified by the manufacturer before purchasing a book bag. Exceeding the weight limit can cause damage to the bag and may lead to discomfort or injury for the person carrying it.

4. Can a book bag that can handle 200lbs also be used for everyday purposes?

Yes, a book bag that can handle 200lbs can also be used for everyday purposes. However, keep in mind that these bags are designed for heavy loads and may be bulkier and heavier than regular book bags. If you do not need to carry heavy items on a daily basis, it may be more practical to choose a lighter and more compact bag for everyday use.

5. How should I properly distribute the weight in my book bag to prevent strain?

To prevent strain on your back and shoulders, it is important to evenly distribute the weight in your book bag. Place heavier items closer to your back and lighter items towards the front of the bag. Avoid overloading one side of the bag and adjust the straps to ensure a comfortable fit. It is also recommended to take breaks and switch shoulders if carrying the bag for an extended period of time.