Need a help at computational electromagnetics

In summary, the conversation is about the FDTD method in numerical electromagnetics and a question regarding the expression for the magnetic field. The speaker mentions that the electric field is defined at time (t) and the magnetic field at (t+dt/2), with a space separation of half of the cell. They also mention the importance of the time delay in the algorithm for stability.
Ahmed123
Hi dears

I study numerical electromagnetics , especially FDTD method , i reached to the point at where i introduce my sources then i get an understanding problem .. at this method ( as in the attached photo ) the electric field is defined at time (t) and magnetic field at (t+dt/2) and there is a space separation between them equals half of the cell .. so the electric field function is defined as g(t) and but magnetic field take that messy expression as in the picture can anyone help me how we got this expression ..

Attachments

• fdtd.png
    fdtd.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 245
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing only the drive term (at a point in the grid?) in the FDTD algorithm is being shown in the image. The grid is in space and time. Looks like they've included the propagation delay in ##g(t)## source term for the neighboring ##H##-field point. For the FDTD algorithm to be stable, this time delay needs to be very small in comparison to ##\frac{\Delta t}{c}##.

1. What is computational electromagnetics?

Computational electromagnetics is a field of study that uses computer algorithms and simulations to analyze and solve problems related to the behavior of electromagnetic fields. It combines principles from electromagnetics, mathematics, and computer science to model and predict the behavior of electromagnetic systems.

2. What are the applications of computational electromagnetics?

The applications of computational electromagnetics are vast and diverse. Some common examples include designing antennas for communication systems, analyzing the performance of electronic devices, and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different environments. It is also used in fields such as radar, wireless communication, and medical imaging.

3. What are the main challenges in computational electromagnetics?

One of the main challenges in computational electromagnetics is accurately modeling complex electromagnetic systems, which can involve multiple materials, geometries, and frequencies. Another challenge is balancing the trade-off between accuracy and computational efficiency, as simulations can be computationally expensive and time-consuming.

4. What are the common techniques used in computational electromagnetics?

Some common techniques used in computational electromagnetics include finite difference methods, finite element methods, and boundary element methods. These methods use numerical approximations to solve Maxwell's equations, which govern the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

5. How can I learn more about computational electromagnetics?

There are many resources available to learn more about computational electromagnetics, including textbooks, online courses, and research papers. It is also helpful to have a strong background in mathematics, electromagnetics, and computer programming. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops in the field can provide valuable insights and networking opportunities.