Need a little guidance - Limits

In summary, The limit for x-> 3 is undefined. I am also a little confused with the a+ and the a-. For a+ i would say that 3+^2-9/3+-3 = 0+/0+ = 1 and for a- it would = -1 ... but i get the feeling that this is wrong... any guidance?
Barchie

Homework Statement

For f(x) = |x^2-9|/x-3 and a=3, discuss the limiting behavior of f(x) as x->a+, as x->a- and as x->a

The Attempt at a Solution

Am i right to say that the limit for x-> 3 is undefined? I am also a little confused with the a+ and the a-

for a+ i would say that 3+^2-9/3+-3 = 0+/0+ = 1 and for a- it would = -1 ... but i get the feeling that this is wrong... any guidance?

Homework Statement

For f(x) = |x^2-9|/x-3 and a=3, discuss the limiting behavior of f(x) as x->a+, as x->a- and as x->a
EDIT: ok so putting the values into a calculator give me 6 & -6 i am content with those answers... i am also think i am getting closer with the idea that i can factor the top line into:

(x+3)(x-3) and then cancel the (x-3)'s leaving me with x+3 which would explain 6, but not -6.

can i cancel the denominator with the abs value numerator?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok no worries. have resolved this issue.

for absolute value |x^2-9| i factor to |(x+3)(x-3)|

for x < 3 | -(x+3)(x-3) which evaluates for 3- to:

(-x-3)(x-3)/x-3 | cancels to:
-x-3
lim x-> 3- = -6

for the 3+

(x+3)(x-3)/(x-3) cancels to:
x+3
lim x-> 3+ = 6

and if the limits from the right hand side and the left don't equal then the limit is undefined.

Hope this helps someone, and if not... sorry for wasting your time.

Your answer is exactly right. To explain the -6, why don't you write the x->a- limit as follows

x = a-h and h->0, keeping in mind that h>0 (this would help you in working with the absolute values. Try it.

Hi!
I have a few questions:
Those a+ and a- means that you are looking at a right and a left limit ?
Second How do you get +1 from 0+/0+ ? That is an indeterminate form.
Now: Using the l'Hôpital's rule you get 2x and this is the answer of your question, why you get +6 & -6 on the calculator.
Yes,you can cancel it,but first you have to determine how to 'open' this abs value brackets and then depending on this you can cancel them :)
Edit: Sorry praharmitra didn't see your post ...

MednataMiza said:
Hi!
I have a few questions:
Thos a+ and a- means that you are looking at a right and a left limit ?
Second How do you get +1 from 0+/0+ ? That is an indeterminate form.
Now: Using the l'Hôpital's rule you get 2x and this is the answer of your question, why you get +6 & -6 on the calculator.
Yes,you can cancel it,but first you have to determine how to 'open' this abs value brackets and then depending on this you can cancel them :)
Edit: Sorry praharmitra didn't see your post ...

1. a+ and a- do mean the right and left limits.

2. 0+/0+ is not equal to +1. It has been wrongly written. What you actually get is something of the form
[tex]
Lt_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{h}{h} = 1
[/tex]
that is what has been written in shorthand above.

3. You have incorrectly used L'hopital rule.
[tex]
\frac{d(|x|)}{dx} = 1, \ x>0;\ -1,\ x<0
[/tex]

Yes,I have used the l'Hôpital's rule right.That's just the basic form :)

Related to Need a little guidance - Limits

1. What are limits in mathematics?

Limits in mathematics refer to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. Why are limits important in calculus?

Limits are important in calculus because they are used to define the derivative and integral, which are fundamental concepts in calculus. They help us understand the behavior of functions and make calculations easier.

3. How do you find limits algebraically?

Limits can be found algebraically by simplifying the given function and then substituting the value that the input approaches into the simplified function. If the resulting expression is undefined, then the limit does not exist.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches the given value from one direction, while a two-sided limit considers the behavior from both directions. This means that a function can have different one-sided limits at a point, but only one two-sided limit.

5. How are limits used in real life?

Limits are used in real life to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, limits can be used to calculate the speed of an object at a specific point in time, or to determine the maximum profit for a company.