See attached
Relevant Equations
simultaneous equations
1693396767973.png

In my approach,

##y=6-x##

##x^2(6-x)^2+2x(6-x)-35=0##

##x^4-12x^3+34x^2+12x-35=0##

using factor theorem, i noted that ##f(1)=0## therefore ##(x-1)## is a factor.

on long division we also have other factors:##(x+1), (x-5)## and ##(x-7)## from these we can find ##y## values by using ##y=6-x##. This may be the only approach ....quite easy this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##w = xy##, then ##x^2y^2 + 2xy - 35 = 0## becomes ##w^2 +2w - 35 = 0##.

##(w-5)(w+7) = 0##. I.e ##xy = 5## or ##xy=-7##. And take it from there.

Likes chwala
Similar to @Steve4Physics's approach, but factoring the quadratic in x and y first:
##x^2y^2 + 2xy - 35 = 0 \Rightarrow (xy + 7)(xy - 5) = 0##
##\Rightarrow xy = -7 \text{ or } xy = 5##

Solve ##x + y = 6## for y (or x) and substitute this expression into the equations above.

Likes chwala

1. How do I solve simultaneous equations involving x, y, and their squares?

To solve simultaneous equations involving x, y, and their squares, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method. First, isolate one variable in one equation and substitute it into the other equation. Then, solve for the remaining variable. Finally, substitute the value of the solved variable into either of the original equations to find the value of the other variable.

2. What is the importance of solving simultaneous equations involving x, y, and their squares?

Solving simultaneous equations involving x, y, and their squares is important in many fields of science and mathematics. It allows us to find the intersection points of curves, which can be used to model real-world situations and make predictions. It is also a fundamental skill in higher level math courses and is used in various engineering and scientific applications.

3. Can I solve simultaneous equations involving x, y, and their squares without using algebra?

No, algebra is necessary to solve simultaneous equations involving x, y, and their squares. These equations involve multiple variables and their squares, which cannot be solved using basic arithmetic operations. However, there are some online calculators and software programs that can solve these equations for you.

4. How do I know if a system of simultaneous equations involving x, y, and their squares has a solution?

A system of simultaneous equations involving x, y, and their squares has a solution if the equations intersect at one or more points. This can be visually determined by graphing the equations or algebraically by solving the equations and checking for consistent and independent solutions.

5. Are there any special cases or tricks for solving simultaneous equations involving x, y, and their squares?

Yes, there are some special cases and tricks that can help in solving simultaneous equations involving x, y, and their squares. One example is when the equations are in the form of a quadratic and a linear equation, which can be solved using the quadratic formula. Another trick is to manipulate one of the equations by multiplying it by a constant or adding/subtracting it from the other equation to eliminate a variable.