Need a little push on this integral using trig substitution.

In summary, to solve the integral ∫x2√(3+2x-x2) dx, we use trigonometric substitution and expand the squared term to get 4∫(4sin2θ+4sinθ+1)√(1-sin2θ) cosθ dθ. Then, we use a u-substitution and split the integrals to get 16∫u2√(1-u2). Finally, we can use another trigonometric identity to solve this integral and get the final answer for the original integral.
uchuu-man chi
∫x2√(3+2x-x2) dx

Here's what I've already done:

completed the square

∫x2√(4-(x-1)2) dx

(x-1) = 2sinθ
sinθ = (x-1)/2
x = 2sinθ+1
dx = 2cosθ dθ

trig sub + pulled out constants
4∫(2sinθ+1)2√(1-sin2θ)cosθ dθ

trig identity

4∫(2sinθ+1)2√(cos2θ)cosθ dθ

4∫(2sinθ+1)2(cos2θ)dθ

expanded + trig identity (cosθ = √(1-sin2θ)
4∫(4sin2θ+4sinθ+1)√(1-sin2θ) cosθ dθ

u-sub
u = sinθ
du = cosθ dθ

4∫(4u2+4u+1)√(1-u2) du

I proceeded to multiply them, and split them into 3 integrals. But, I still ended up with the one of the integrals being:

16∫u2√(1-u2)

which is exactly where I started. I feel like I'm missing something painfully obvious. Can someone give me a push into the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
uchuu-man chi said:
expanded + trig identity (cosθ = √(1-sin2θ)
4∫(4sin2θ+4sinθ+1)√(1-sin2θ) cosθ dθ
This is a backwards step. You just got rid of the √, don't bring it back.
Expand the squared term instead.
How would you deal with ∫cos2?

Likes uchuu-man chi
haruspex said:
This is a backwards step. You just got rid of the √, don't bring it back.
Expand the squared term instead.
How would you deal with ∫cos2?
oo ok thank you I was able to get it.

1. How do I know when to use trig substitution for an integral?

Trig substitution is typically used when there is a square root term, or a quadratic term, in the integral that can be rewritten in terms of trigonometric functions. This allows for the use of trig identities to simplify the integral.

2. What is the first step in using trig substitution for an integral?

The first step is to identify which trigonometric substitution to use based on the form of the integral. For example, if there is a √(a² - x²) term, you would use the substitution x = a sinθ.

3. Can I use trig substitution for any integral with trigonometric functions?

No, trig substitution is only used for specific forms of integrals. It is important to check if the integral can be simplified using trigonometric identities before attempting to use this method.

4. How do I handle the trigonometric functions in the integral after using substitution?

After substituting in the appropriate trigonometric function, you can use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. This may involve using the Pythagorean identity or other trigonometric identities to rewrite the integral in terms of a single trigonometric function.

5. Can I use trig substitution for definite integrals?

Yes, you can use trig substitution for definite integrals. However, you must also adjust the limits of integration to be in terms of the new variable. This may involve using the inverse trigonometric functions to find the new limits of integration.