Integrating with a given substitution

In summary: Then you can use the trig identity for the double angle. Keep going!In summary, by using the substitution x = 2sinθ and applying trigonometric identities, the given integral can be transformed into the form Ax\sqrt{4 - x^2} + B ⋅ arcsin(\frac{x}{2}) + C. Further substitution of x/2 = sinθ and using the double angle identity leads to the final solution of 2arcsin\frac{x}{2} + 4sin2θ. The values of A, B, and C can be found by solving the integral.
cmkluza

Homework Statement

Using the substitution x = 2sinθ, show that
[tex] \int \sqrt{4 - x^2} dx = Ax\sqrt{4 - x^2} + B ⋅ arcsin(\frac{x}{2}) + C [/tex]
whee A and B are constants whose values you are required to find.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x = 2sinθ
[itex] \frac{dx}{dθ} = 2cosθ [/itex]
dx = 2cosθ ⋅ dθ
[itex] \int \sqrt{4 - x^2} dx = \int \sqrt{4 - 4sin^2θ} ⋅ 2cosθ dθ [/itex]
Edit: (Hopefully) corrected my work after this point
[itex] 2\int \sqrt{4(1 - sin^2θ)} ⋅ cosθ dθ [/itex]
[itex] 2\int 2\sqrt{1 - sin^2θ} ⋅ cosθ dθ \rightarrow 1 - sin^2θ = cos^2θ [/itex]
[itex] 4\int \sqrt{cos^2θ} ⋅ cosθ dθ [/itex]
[itex] 4 \int cosθ ⋅ cosθ ⋅ dθ [/itex]
[itex] 4 \int cos^2θ ⋅ dθ [/itex]
[itex] 4 \int \frac{1 + cos2θ}{2} ⋅ dθ = 2 \int 1 + cos2θ ⋅ dθ [/itex]
2(θ + 2sin2θ)
x = 2sinθ ∴ θ = arcsin[itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex]
2arcsin[itex]\frac{x}{2}[/itex] + 4sin2θI'm getting closer at this point, but can't figure out how to transform the 4sin2θ back into something to do with x's. If I substituted 2sinθcosθ in for sin2θ then I would be stuck with a cosine in the final equation that I don't want, nor would that get me any closer to a square root shown in the final answer. Have I messed up in my work up to this point again, or is there something I'm not looking at? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cmkluza said:
[itex] \int \sqrt{4 - x^2} dx = \int \sqrt{4 - 4sin^2θ} ⋅ 2cosθ dθ [/itex]
[itex] -2sinθ \int \sqrt{4 - 4sin^2θ} ⋅ dθ [/itex]
I don't see where that comes from, is second line supposed to be the second term of the expression to the right of the equal sign in the first line?

blue_leaf77 said:
I don't see where that comes from, is second line supposed to be the second term of the expression to the right of the equal sign in the first line?

For whatever reason, during my work I felt integration of one part of one term was possible. I'm redoing my work now, thanks for pointing out my mistake!

I've redone all my work, still can't seem to get the final bit, but I'm getting closer.

cmkluza said:
If I substituted 2sinθcosθ in for sin2θ
That's the right direction. Remember that ##\cos \theta = \sqrt{1-\sin^2 \theta}##, from this point substitute ##x/2 = \sin \theta##.

1. What is substitution in integration?

Substitution in integration is a method used to simplify integrals by replacing a variable with a new one. This new variable is chosen so that the integral can be easily solved. It is also known as the "u-substitution" method.

2. How do you know when to use substitution in integration?

Substitution in integration is typically used when the integral contains a composition of functions or a product of functions. This means that the integrand can be rewritten in a way that makes it easier to integrate by substitution.

3. What are the steps for integrating with a given substitution?

The steps for integrating with a given substitution are:

1. Identify the variable to be substituted (usually denoted as "u").
  2. Find the derivative of the substituted variable (du).
  3. Replace the substituted variable and its derivative in the integral.
  4. Solve the integral using the new variable.
  5. Substitute the original variable back into the final answer.

4. Can all integrals be solved using substitution?

No, not all integrals can be solved using substitution. This method is only applicable to certain types of integrals, such as those with a composition of functions or a product of functions. Other methods, such as integration by parts, may need to be used for more complex integrals.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using substitution in integration?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when using substitution in integration:

• Forgetting to substitute back the original variable in the final answer.
  • Not choosing the correct substitution or using the wrong variable for substitution.
  • Incorrectly calculating the derivative of the substituted variable (du).
  • Forgetting to add the constant of integration (C) in the final answer.