Need a simple accelerometer for a demo kit

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a demo kit to measure the velocity and acceleration of a slider for a mechanical engineering project. The speaker is looking for an economical option that is easy to use and compatible with an output display. Suggestions for types and makes of sensors are given, including airbag triggers and phonograph pickups. Additional information is requested regarding the number of axes needed, the variability of acceleration, and the expected range of acceleration.
k.udhay
Hi,
I am trying to build a demo kit to show the velocity and acceleration of a slider that reciprocates. I am from mechanical engineering background and hence need help in finding good acceleratio measurement device. My requirements are this:
1. Should be something like a ready to fit.
2. Needs to be compatible for an output display.
3. Should be an economical option.
4. Saw one app in mobile phone showing velocity and acceleration of it. Was very simple and exactly the way I wanted.

Pl. suggest some good types and makes. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Two relatively inexpensive sensors are airbag triggers and phonograph pickups (add a weight to the needle). I used both in my biomedical systems business for many years to detect movement of subjects when recording various physio parameters. TI and Motorola were the airbag sensors but other vendors are also out there.

A few questions
1. do you need 1, 2 or 3 axis accelerometer?
2. Is the acceleration constant or slowly varying or is it very variable with time?
3. What is the expected range of acceleration?

1. What is an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures acceleration forces, such as gravity and movement, in three dimensions: x, y, and z. It converts these forces into electrical signals that can be interpreted by a device or computer.

2. What are some common uses for accelerometers?

Accelerometers are commonly used in devices such as smartphones, fitness trackers, and gaming controllers to detect movement and orientation. They are also used in cars to trigger airbag deployment during collisions and in industrial equipment to monitor vibrations and prevent damage.

3. How does an accelerometer work?

An accelerometer typically consists of a mass attached to a spring or piezoelectric material. When the sensor experiences acceleration, the mass moves in relation to the spring or material, causing a change in voltage that is measured by the sensor.

4. What is the difference between a simple and complex accelerometer?

A simple accelerometer measures acceleration in one or two dimensions, while a complex accelerometer can measure acceleration in all three dimensions and may have additional features such as temperature sensing or data logging capabilities.

5. Can I use a simple accelerometer for my demo kit?

It depends on your specific needs and the requirements of your demo kit. If you only need to measure acceleration in one or two dimensions, a simple accelerometer may be suitable. However, if you require more precise measurements or additional features, a complex accelerometer may be a better option.