Accelerometer drop tests evaluation

In summary, accelerometer drop tests are used to evaluate the integrity and durability of electronic devices, such as smartphones and fitness trackers. These tests involve dropping the device from different heights onto various surfaces to simulate real-life impact scenarios. The data collected from these tests can be used to assess the device's ability to withstand accidental drops and inform design improvements. Accelerometer drop tests are an important tool in the quality control and development process of electronic devices.
Umair Shariff
Good morning everyone! I am a Medical Doctor and have a very basic understanding of physics (Studied till high school). I was very much interested in freefall experiments and wanted to do something by myself. I was interested to see if I can demonstrate the lack of gravitational pull during freefall and to test it, I used the accelerometer in my phone and an app to record the data. I have compiled it all in the attached excel file and was very curious about a couple of things that I noticed in the data.

Note that this could very well be due to flaws of the experiment and may very well not reflect in a very closed system.
  1. The graph derived from the freefall tests showed a notch in the accelerometer reading after it was dropped. Has there been any such aberrations in experiments done in closed systems??
  2. Once the object is in freefall, the accelerometer showed progressive rise in acceleration along the Z axis, before it hits the ground.
I would appreciate if someone could help make sense of the readings I acquired, if they are artifacts or have these findings been observed in closed system experimentation.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• Phone Drop Test.xlsx
    27.9 KB · Views: 192
Physics news on Phys.org
Umair Shariff said:
Good morning everyone! I am a Medical Doctor and have a very basic understanding of physics (Studied till high school). I was very much interested in freefall experiments and wanted to do something by myself. I was interested to see if I can demonstrate the lack of gravitational pull during freefall and to test it, I used the accelerometer in my phone and an app to record the data. I have compiled it all in the attached excel file and was very curious about a couple of things that I noticed in the data.

Note that this could very well be due to flaws of the experiment and may very well not reflect in a very closed system.
  1. The graph derived from the freefall tests showed a notch in the accelerometer reading after it was dropped. Has there been any such aberrations in experiments done in closed systems??
  2. Once the object is in freefall, the accelerometer showed progressive rise in acceleration along the Z axis, before it hits the ground.
I would appreciate if someone could help make sense of the readings I acquired, if they are artifacts or have these findings been observed in closed system experimentation.

Thank you for your time.

1. The release might not be clean and instantaneous.

2. Might be air resistance

A.T. said:
2. Might be air resistance
The drop was approximately 1.5 meters, would air resistance factor in at such small distances??

Your data will make more sense if you plot total acceleration instead of only one component. The total acceleration is the vector sum of the three components of acceleration in your data.

What is an accelerometer drop test?

An accelerometer drop test is a type of physical testing used to evaluate the durability and impact resistance of a device or product. It involves dropping the device from a predetermined height onto a hard surface, while measuring the acceleration and impact forces experienced by the device.

Why is an accelerometer drop test important?

An accelerometer drop test is important because it can help identify potential weaknesses or vulnerabilities in a product's design. By subjecting the product to controlled impact forces, engineers can better understand how it will perform under real-world conditions and make necessary improvements to ensure its durability and safety.

How is an accelerometer drop test performed?

An accelerometer drop test is typically performed by securing the device to be tested onto a drop tower or other type of release mechanism. The device is then released from a predetermined height and the acceleration and impact forces are measured by the accelerometer. The test may be repeated multiple times from different heights to simulate a variety of potential impact scenarios.

What are the limitations of an accelerometer drop test?

There are several limitations to consider when performing an accelerometer drop test. First, the test may not accurately reflect the precise conditions that the device will experience in the real world. Additionally, the results may be affected by factors such as the surface onto which the device is dropped, the orientation of the device during impact, and the accuracy and calibration of the accelerometer itself.

How are the results of an accelerometer drop test interpreted?

The results of an accelerometer drop test are typically interpreted by comparing the measured acceleration and impact forces to predetermined thresholds or specifications. These thresholds may vary depending on the type of device being tested and its intended use. If the results fall within the acceptable range, the device is deemed to have passed the drop test; otherwise, further analysis and modifications may be necessary.