Need advice for this Adaptor remover (home plumbing)

• Thread starter Ephant
  • Start date
Ephant
Is there any tool that can grip the yellow threads and turn it? I use pliers but they are very small. I even used vise grips but the teeth are very small. There is a rubber gasket inside the yellow plastic adaptor which has female thread on top (the male thread at bottom is for 1/2" conversion). The faucet is 3/4" and has male thread. I tightened the 3/4" plastic adaptor with my hands but can't remove it. For this situation. Mechanically, Is it because the faucet thread and adaptor threads are not compatible or more about the gasket causing it to tighten?

Or if the description above is vague. Just please tell me what kind of tool that can engage the threads. Pliers and vise grip have small close teeth.

adaptor remover.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
The teeth of wrench are very closedly space. Is there other tool that can do it?

I just used saw to cut the adaptor and destroy it just to remove it.

adaptor removed.jpg

Get a strap wrench. . . :cool:

Likes russ_watters
Ephant said:
The teeth of wrench are very closedly space. Is there other tool that can do it?
Who cares?! Use a pipe wrench. That is what they are good at.

"Use the right tool for the job".

Ephant said:
The teeth of wrench are very closedly space.
The teeth of the wrench don't have to mesh with the adapter teeth. All you have to ...

Ephant said:
I just used saw to cut the adaptor and destroy it just to remove it.
never mind... :sorry:

• Haha
Likes jack action, russ_watters and berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
The teeth of the wrench don't have to mesh with the adapter teeth. All you have to ...never mind... :sorry:

I have 5 pieces more like it.. used it in washing machine and water filters.

The problem with pipe wrench is it's pure iron and can damage the plastic threads.

So I'm looking for something like the following close wrench in pic but adjustable. Is there anything like an adjustable close wrench that is also plastic? Iron is ok, at least the force wouldn't be concentrated on a few plastic threads on the adaptor only.

If there is none yet a market. Can you design an adjustable close wrench?

Also it made me think. Do all the tools in the International Space Station already in the market or do they made it custom a round close adjustable wrench?

close wrench.jpg

Ephant said:
The problem with pipe wrench is it's pure iron and can damage the plastic threads.
That is nonsense. The pipe wrench may leave some small scars on the outer part of the plastic assembly, but it will not do anything to the threads on the inner part of the assembly.

Likes phinds
My preferred solution, at least for a first attempt, is a pair of grippy gloves. I keep a pair in the kitchen, and a second pair in my shop. They both get plenty of use. They do two things - shield my delicate fingers from sharp edges so I can grip harder, and increase friction so I can get more torque from the same clamping gripping force.
Grippy Gloves.jpg

I also have a pipe wrench for the really stubborn cases.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
OCR said:
Get a strap wrench. . . :cool:

Get a strap wrench.

Likes OCR
berkeman said:
That is nonsense. The pipe wrench may leave some small scars on the outer part of the plastic assembly, but it will not do anything to the threads on the inner part of the assembly.

I meant I didn't want to leave some small scars on the outer part of the plastic assembly. How do you call those outer part? In wheels in cars/vehicles, the outer part of tire is called threads so I mention threads. What is the right term then?

Why did you give picture of 18" pipe wrench? Does the 18" mean it is the opening of the wrench? If i'd buy one, maybe a 2" is enough? The heavier one may be so heavy it may pull the entire faucet off the PPR piping when turning it.

Ephant said:
I meant I didn't want to leave some small scars on the outer part of the plastic assembly. How do you call those outer part?
Why not? You were willing to destroy one of them.

The wrench is meant to be applied to this part, not the threads.
1702089587276.png

Ephant said:
In wheels in cars/vehicles, the outer part of tire is called threads so I mention threads.
Tires have treads.

Pipe fittings have threads.

Ephant said:
Why did you give picture of 18" pipe wrench? Does the 18" mean it is the opening of the wrench? If i'd buy one, maybe a 2" is enough? The heavier one may be so heavy it may pull the entire faucet off the PPR piping when turning it.
I think a pipe wrench is overkill.

I use channel locks:

1702089668235.png

Likes Baluncore
I borrowed a pipe wrench as well as ordered both the channel lock and a pipe wrench.

However, even if I used a pipe wrench, the tap adaptor still leaked! Then I realized why, it's because the NPT in the faucet is not compatible with the GHT of the tap adaptor. See:

https://homeandgardentalk.com/ght-vs-npt-compatability/

I used the faucet to the sediment filter connected to the clothes washing machine.

sediment filter setup.jpg

garden hose tap.jpg

Has anyone used this kind of setup? First, some terms we should agree with first.

1. Do you also call it as faucet tap adaptor (the yellow one I sawed earlier)? It's GHT which is not compatible with the faucet NPT so either I'll get a converter or replace the faucet (which is connected to the PPR female NPT thread).

2. Do you also call the hose connector as Water Hose connector quick release? What else do you call it? Or haven't you seen anything like it?

3. The sediment filter is GHT. I connected the washing machine water hose directly to the sediment filter via a 3/4" male to male adaptor.

4. Ok. What other ways to do it? How did you set up yours? The washing machine could another output like a plain kitchen sink faucet, etc.

Appreciated all your help. Thank you!

It seems that no one has yet suggested pouring a kettle full of hot water on the connection.It could very well be undone by hand after that treatment.

Likes Tom.G

What is an adaptor remover and when should I use it in home plumbing?

An adaptor remover is a specialized tool used in plumbing to detach adaptors or fittings that connect different parts of a plumbing system. This tool is particularly useful when you need to replace or repair pipes, faucets, or valves that have adaptors which might be difficult to remove by hand or with standard wrenches. It should be used whenever you encounter a plumbing component with a stubborn or tightly-fitted adaptor.

How do I choose the right adaptor remover for my plumbing project?

To choose the right adaptor remover, consider the size and type of the adaptors you'll be working with. Adaptor removers come in various sizes and shapes to fit different types of connections and diameters. Check the specifications of the plumbing components involved in your project and select a remover that matches these dimensions. It's also wise to choose a tool made from durable materials like hardened steel to ensure it can handle the rigors of plumbing work.

Can I use an adaptor remover on plastic fittings without causing damage?

Yes, you can use an adaptor remover on plastic fittings, but you must do so with care to avoid damaging the fittings. Ensure that the remover fits snugly and is not overly tight. Apply steady and controlled pressure to avoid cracking or deforming the plastic. Using a remover that is specifically designed for plastic fittings is advisable as these typically have smoother edges and are less likely to cause damage.

What safety precautions should I take when using an adaptor remover?

When using an adaptor remover, always wear appropriate personal protective equipment such as gloves and safety glasses to protect your hands and eyes from sharp edges and debris. Ensure the area is dry to avoid slips and maintain a firm footing. If you're working on pipes that previously carried hot water or chemicals, ensure they are flushed and cooled down to prevent burns or exposure to harmful substances.

Is it better to hire a professional plumber or can I use the adaptor remover myself?

Whether to hire a professional plumber or use the adaptor remover yourself depends on your comfort level and experience with plumbing tasks. If the project is straightforward and you have the right tools, including the adaptor remover, you might be able to handle it yourself. However, if the plumbing involves critical water lines or is complex, hiring a professional is advisable to avoid potential mistakes and ensure the work complies with local plumbing codes.