Need an Equation for converting Vertical to horizontal FOV

In summary, a rectangle's horizontal and vertical components are changed by a proportion depending on the aspect ratio. This is important to know for a FOV calculator that is based on the angles, since the opposite and adjacent lengths must be known in order for the equation to be correct.
Justice Hunter
This is a representation of a square, and a triangle that creates an angle between that square. In this case, the horizontal and vertical components to the Angle of View are the same.
anamorphic (aovfov calc question1).png

Now, change this square into a rectangle, and the relationship to the horizontal and vertical components are changed by a proportion. Let's assume it's a 16:9 proportion.
anamorphic (aovfov calc question2).png

So this should have technically been correct...16/9 (1920/1080) should equal 160/90...but this turned out to give me a not so right answer.

I went and used this calculator, the results of a 90 Degree Vertical FOV yields "121" degree Horizontal FoV. for 1920/1080 pixels.

This calculator is nice and all, but
a) it's not exact enough for the calculation for what I'm doing, and...
b) What am i missing that it yields 90x121 rather than 90x160? I understand that as the AOV's approach 180 degrees, the FOV approaches infinity, so i know the two arn't the same, but it also means that the equation isn't just defined by a proportion.

Before anyone jumps to the comments, i want to point out that no, this situation is strictly mathematical in nature and has no analog to the physical world, or measuring distances in terms of feet or inches.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Justice Hunter said:
What am i missing that it yields 90x121 rather than 90x160?

You are missing the tangent function.

hutchphd said:
You are missing the tangent function.

hmm okay. But what if the distances are not available to me? The only distance i have available would be the size in pixels, of the box (in our example, 1920/1080).

Then all you can get is a ratio of the tangent function of the angle, but not a ratio of angles.

Likes hutchphd
mfb said:
Then all you can get is a ratio of the tangent function of the angle, but not a ratio of angles.

But how can that be true? How is it then, that this website has a functioning FOV calculator? There must be some relationship that is based solely on the angles, given a certain aspect ratio. Not saying that a trig function has nothing to do with that, but there must be more to this problem then what your saying.

The "relationship based on the angles" is the fixed ratio of their tangent function values.

##\tan(\beta) = \frac{16}{9}\tan(\alpha)## for suitable ##\alpha##, ##\beta##. Or, solved for one angle, ##\beta = \arctan(\frac{16}{9}\tan(\alpha))##

mfb said:
The "relationship based on the angles" is the fixed ratio of their tangent function values.

##\tan(\beta) = \frac{16}{9}\tan(\alpha)## for suitable ##\alpha##, ##\beta##. Or, solved for one angle, ##\beta = \arctan(\frac{16}{9}\tan(\alpha))##

Okay I see. This helped me out a a lot, it’s essentially a proportion, just a proportion within a proportion (since the Opposite and adjacent lengths can be arbitrary so long as you have a single angle)

Thanks

1. What is the equation for converting vertical to horizontal field of view (FOV)?

The equation for converting vertical to horizontal FOV is: horizontal FOV = 2 * arctan(tan(vertical FOV/2) * (width/height)). This equation takes into account the aspect ratio of the display and the angle of view.

2. Why is it important to convert vertical to horizontal FOV?

Converting vertical to horizontal FOV is important because it allows for accurate measurements of the viewing angle on a display. This is especially useful for virtual reality applications, video production, and gaming.

3. How do I measure the vertical and horizontal FOV of a display?

To measure the vertical and horizontal FOV of a display, you will need a protractor and a ruler. Place the protractor at the center of the display and measure the angle from the top to the bottom of the screen to determine the vertical FOV. Then, measure the distance from the left to the right of the screen and use the equation mentioned above to calculate the horizontal FOV.

4. Are there any other factors that affect the conversion of vertical to horizontal FOV?

Yes, there are a few other factors that can affect the conversion of vertical to horizontal FOV. These include the curvature of the display, the distance between the viewer and the display, and the type of lens used in the display.

5. Is there a standard FOV conversion for all displays?

No, there is not a standard FOV conversion for all displays. The equation mentioned above is a general formula that can be used for most displays. However, some displays may have unique specifications that require a different equation for accurate conversion.