Need Help Projectile Motion - Hitting Target with toy gun

In summary, the goal of the lab is to hit a target on the ground by shooting a bullet from a toy gun, with the distance from the target assigned by the teacher. The student needs to calculate the initial velocity and determine the angle or vertical displacement needed to hit the target. The relevant equation for this is d = v1t + 0.5at^2. The student attempted to solve the problem by getting an initial velocity of 7.57 m/s and using it to calculate horizontal and vertical velocities of 5.35 m/s. They then set the horizontal displacement to 3 meters and solved for a time of 0.56 seconds, using it to calculate a vertical displacement of 1.45 meters.
BobGStop
Hey, I need help with a lab I'm doing in class. The goal is to hit a target on the ground by shooting a bullet from a toy gun. Our distance from the target will be assigned to us by our teacher and I need to calculate the initial velocity of the gun and then hit the target by only changing the angle or the vertical displacement. How would I go about getting the initial velocity easily and calculating the angle or vertical displacement need to hit the target. Also what would be the best angle to use. Air resistance is ignored for this entire question. Thanks.

Relevant Equations

d = v1t + 0.5at^2

My Attempt

1. Get initial velocity and calculate horizontal and vertical speeds with an angle of 45
  2. Get time for horizontal component
  3. Use time in vertical component for vertical displacement

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, BobGStop, and welcome to PF!

Your "attempt" doesn't actually show any work. It lists the steps you would take to solve the problem, but doesn't actually describe any work you've done at accomplishing those steps. What work have you done?

1. Got initial velocity of 7.57 m/s - I shot the gun horizontally and did displacement over time
  2. Used velocity to do 7.57cos45 and 7.57sin45 to get horizontal and vertical velocity of 5.35
  3. I set the horizontal displacement to 3 and sloved for a time of 0.42
  4. Used the the time to solve for a vertical displacement of 1.002

When I tried to get my target using a angle of 45 and height of 1 m I overshot it by half a meter. I believe it's because my initial velocity is wrong but I am not sure.

Edit - sorry wrote the wrong time and vertical displacement
  1. Got initial velocity of 7.57 m/s - I shot the gun horizontally and did displacement over time
  2. Used velocity to do 7.57cos45 and 7.57sin45 to get horizontal and vertical velocity of 5.35
  3. I set the horizontal displacement to 3 and sloved for a time of 0.56
  4. Used the the time to solve for a vertical displacement of 1.45
When I tried to get my target using a angle of 45 and height of 1 m I overshot it by half a meter. I believe it's because my initial velocity is wrong but I am not sure.

BobGStop said:
I set the horizontal displacement to 3

I assume this is because your teacher told you to use that distance from the target?

BobGStop said:
I set the horizontal displacement to 3 and sloved for a time of 0.56

What does this time represent? Is it the time you are really interested in?

BobGStop said:
Used the the time to solve for a vertical displacement of 1.45

Can you give some more detail about this step?

BobGStop said:
When I tried to get my target using a angle of 45 and height of 1 m I overshot it by half a meter.

How does this compare with what the relevant equations would predict for an angle of 45 degrees and a vertical displacement of 1 meter?

1. What is projectile motion and how does it relate to hitting a target with a toy gun?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. In the context of hitting a target with a toy gun, it refers to the trajectory or path that the projectile (in this case, the toy dart or bullet) will take when fired from the gun.

2. What factors affect the projectile motion of a toy gun?

The factors that affect projectile motion of a toy gun include the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is fired, the mass and shape of the projectile, and the effects of air resistance.

3. How can I increase my chances of hitting a target with a toy gun?

To increase your chances of hitting a target with a toy gun, you can adjust the initial velocity and angle at which you fire the projectile. You can also choose a projectile with a higher mass and more aerodynamic shape to reduce the effects of air resistance.

4. Is there a mathematical formula for calculating the trajectory of a projectile fired from a toy gun?

Yes, there are several mathematical formulas that can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile. These include the equations of motion, the range equation, and the projectile motion equations.

5. Can projectile motion be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, projectile motion is applicable to many real-life situations, such as throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, or launching a rocket. Understanding the principles of projectile motion can also help in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports.