Need assistance to decide with analysis to use for problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 2-sample t-test to examine the effect of construction stilts on walking patterns and how experience with the stilts affects walking patterns. The researcher has recruited two groups - expert stilt users and novice users - and plans to compare their walking parameters in both stilt and non-stilt conditions. However, as there are four samples in total, a more appropriate method to use would be ANOVA, which can be applied to more than two samples.
Dants
I am interested in examining how construction stilts affect walking patterns, and how experience with the stilts affects walking patterns. I recruited a group of expert construction stilt users, and a group of novice users and videoed their both walking on stilts and without stilts. I want to see if there is a difference in walking parameters between groups and between the walking conditions.

I am considering using an independent t-test for two samples. Is this the correct approach?

Thanks,

Dants

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dants, welcome to MHB!

A 2-sample t-test is to test if the means of 2 samples are different.
However, it appears you have 2 x 2 = 4 samples.
That is because you have 2 parameters: construction and expertise.
In such a case we need a more general method that can be applied to more than 2 samples: ANOVA.

1. What is the purpose of analysis in problem-solving?

Analysis is an essential part of the problem-solving process as it helps to identify the root cause of the problem and provide a deeper understanding of the issue at hand. It also allows for the development of potential solutions based on data and evidence.

2. How do I decide which analysis method to use for a specific problem?

The choice of analysis method depends on the type of problem you are trying to solve. Some common methods include SWOT analysis, root cause analysis, and cost-benefit analysis. Consider the nature of the problem and the type of data available to determine the most suitable method.

3. What are the advantages of using data-driven analysis in problem-solving?

Data-driven analysis allows for a more objective and evidence-based approach to problem-solving. It helps to eliminate biases and assumptions and provides a more accurate understanding of the problem. It also enables the evaluation of potential solutions based on data rather than personal opinions.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my analysis?

To ensure the accuracy of your analysis, it is important to use reliable and relevant data. Double-checking the data and using multiple sources can also help to validate the findings. It is also crucial to follow a systematic approach and involve others in the analysis process for a more comprehensive perspective.

5. What should I do if my analysis leads to multiple potential solutions?

If your analysis results in multiple potential solutions, it is important to evaluate each option carefully. Consider the feasibility, potential impact, and risks associated with each solution. You may also involve others in the decision-making process to gather different perspectives and make a well-informed decision.