Need book recommendation to learn kinematics and kinetics

In summary, the conversation is about the subject of kinetics and kinematics. The individual is looking for book recommendations that take a mathematical approach to these subjects, specifically for use in simulations of robotics and spacecraft. They mention their background in mathematics and their comfort with linear algebra. A potential book recommendation for Newtonian mechanics is "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" by V. I. Arnold, while a suggested intro for kinetics is "Physical Kinetics" by Landau and Lifshitz.
Avatrin
Hi

I am trying to learn kinetics and kinematics:

Euler angles
Directional cosine matrices
Quaternions
Inertia tensors
The usage of Jacobians in robotics
Manipulator kinematics
Eulers equations
Newton-Euler equations
etc

My background is in mathematics, so I would like a book which takes a mathematical approach to these subjects. It does not have to assume that I am familiar with the mathematics needed (I am quite comfortable with linear algebra, although I haven't really used it for a long while for problems like these).

I would like to learn this to makes simple simulations of robotic arms and spacecraft in PyProcessing. So, it would be great if the book recommendations also goes through examples of how to use the subjects mentioned above in numerical simulations.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no kinetics listed above. For a mathematician, I guess a very good book on Newtonian mechanics is

V. I. Arnold Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, Springer (1991)

I've no idea about specific textbooks about robotics.

For kinetics, the best intro is

Landau, Lifshitz, vol. 10, Physical Kinetics

Likes berkeman

1. What is the difference between kinematics and kinetics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion, while kinetics is the study of motion in relation to the forces that cause it.

2. What are some good books for learning about kinematics and kinetics?

Some recommended books include "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, and "Mechanics" by Keith R. Symon.

3. Are there any online resources for learning about kinematics and kinetics?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and HyperPhysics. These resources offer free lectures, videos, and interactive simulations for learning about kinematics and kinetics.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand kinematics and kinetics?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessary. Basic algebra and trigonometry are sufficient for understanding the concepts of kinematics and kinetics.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of kinematics and kinetics in real life?

Knowledge of kinematics and kinetics can be applied in various fields such as engineering, sports, and physics research. It can be used to analyze and improve the performance of machines, athletes, and other systems in motion.