Need clarification in proof (P9) from Chap 1 Spivak

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of a step in Spivak's Chapter 1, specifically P9, which states that if a, b, and c are any numbers, then a\cdot(b+c)=a\cdotb+a\cdotc. It is clarified that this step is necessary to prove that a+a=b+b, as well as the fact that a\cdot 1 = a. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement of this minor detail and the gratitude for providing clarification.
ActionPotential
I am taking Calculus at the end of the month for the first time but I have started working through Spivak (wanted to get a headstart and didn't have the class textbook yet) and I have been grasping his beautiful description of some the properties of real numbers yet there is a very minor detail in P9 in Chapter 1 in which a step is missing (or as I realized as I thought about it, I was missing something). I just need clarification to make sure I am understanding what happened.

(P9) If a, b, and c are any numbers, then[itex]a[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex](b+c)=a[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]b+a\cdot[/itex]c

If [itex]a-b=b-a[/itex]
then [itex](a-b)+b=(b-a)+b=b+(b-a)[/itex]
hence [itex]a=b+b-a[/itex]
hence [itex]a+a=(b+b-a)+a=b+b[/itex]
Consequently [itex]a[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex](1+1)= b[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex](1+1)[/itex]
and therefore [itex]a=b[/itex]

Now does a+a=b+b become a(1+1)=b(1+1) because of p9 [itex]a[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex](b+c)=a[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]b+a\cdot[/itex]c?

I know this should be incredibly obvious and once I understand it I will kick myself but I couldn't move on without knowing exactly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ActionPotential said:
Now does a+a=b+b become a(1+1)=b(1+1) because of p9 [itex]a[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex](b+c)=a[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]b+a\cdot[/itex]c?

Yes. And you also need ##a\cdot 1 = a##.

micromass said:
Yes. And you also need ##a\cdot 1 = a##.

Of course!

[itex]a+a[/itex]

[itex]a\cdot 1 = a[/itex]
[itex]a\cdot 1[/itex][itex]+a\cdot 1[/itex][itex]=a(1+1)[/itex]

Merci beaucoup mademoiselle! I knew it was something minor but opened my eyes more :)

Related to Need clarification in proof (P9) from Chap 1 Spivak

1. What is the proof (P9) in Chapter 1 of Spivak's book?

The proof (P9) in Chapter 1 of Spivak's book refers to the 9th proof presented in the first chapter of "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. This proof is used to demonstrate the properties of limits and their relationship to continuity.

2. Can you explain the steps of the proof (P9) in simpler terms?

The proof (P9) involves using the definition of a limit to show that a function is continuous at a specific point. It starts by assuming the function is continuous and then uses the definition to show that it must be true. The key steps involve using the squeeze theorem and the definition of continuity.

3. How does the proof (P9) relate to the concept of limits?

The proof (P9) is used to demonstrate the relationship between limits and continuity. It shows that if a function is continuous at a point, then the limit exists at that point. This helps to solidify the idea that limits are essential for understanding continuity and vice versa.

4. What are the main takeaways from the proof (P9)?

The main takeaways from the proof (P9) are that continuity and limits are closely related, and that the definition of a limit can be used to prove continuity at a specific point. It also highlights the importance of the squeeze theorem in proving limit properties.

5. Are there any additional resources available to help understand the proof (P9)?

Yes, there are various online resources available that provide step-by-step explanations of the proof (P9) and its significance. Additionally, seeking clarification from a math tutor or professor can also be helpful in understanding the proof in more depth.