Spivak - Proof of f(x) = c on [a, b]

In summary, Spivak's proof for theorem 4 involves using the equation g = f - c to simplify the proof, which may not be immediately obvious but is a common technique in math. This allows for the arbitrary value of c to be translated into a more understandable case, making it easier to prove the theorem.
Simpl0S
In Spivak's Calculus, on page 121 there is this theorem

1.png

Then he generalizes that theorem:
3.png

I tried proving theorem 4 on my own, before looking at Spivak's proof. Thus I let c = 0 and then by theorem 1, my proof would be completed. Is this a correct proof?

Spivak's proof for theorem 4:

4.png

And also can someone explain to me the choice of why Spivak has chosen the equation g = f - c. I understand his proof but the choice would have never occurred to me intuitively.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simpl0S said:
In Spivak's Calculus, on page 121 there is this theorem

View attachment 105918

Then he generalizes that theorem:
View attachment 105920

I tried proving theorem 4 on my own, before looking at Spivak's proof. Thus I let c = 0 and then by theorem 1, my proof would be completed. Is this a correct proof?

Spivak's proof for theorem 4:

View attachment 105921

And also can someone explain to me the choice of why Spivak has chosen the equation g = f - c. I understand his proof but the choice would have never occurred to me intuitively.
Your mistake has been, that you are not allowed to set ##c=0## because it has to be proven for arbitrary ##c##.
So setting ##g=f-c## makes so to say the arbitrary ##c## for ##f## a ##c=0## for ##g##. What is implicitly used here is the fact, that the sum or (difference) of two continuous functions - here ##f## and ##c \cdot identity## - is continuous again. The arbitrariness of ##c## goes entirely into the arbitrariness of ##g##.

Likes Simpl0S
Simpl0S said:

I'm not sure why you say you would never have thought of it.

If you'd drawn a diagram for a function with ##c =2##, say, then you could make it into a function satisfying ##c=0## simply by moving it vertically.

Isn't that rather obvious? Especially now you've seen it.

Likes Simpl0S
Simpl0S said:

There are a lot of "tricks" and techniques that you will pick up along the way during your math studies. Some things that don't seem obvious at first will become more obvious later down the road and you'll be able to apply these tricks and techniques yourself.

The trick is quite usual, in the proof you translated the function ##f## subtracting ##c## defining a new function ##g## that satisfy conditions of theorem 1. So you are in the condition of a well understood case and you can conclude that exists a point ##x\in [a,b]## such that ##g(x)=0## that is ##f(x)=c##.

Likes Simpl0S

1. What is the Spivak proof of f(x) = c on [a, b]?

The Spivak proof is a rigorous mathematical proof that demonstrates the validity of the statement f(x) = c on the interval [a, b]. It uses the principles of calculus and real analysis to show that for any value of x within the interval, the function f(x) will always equal the constant c.

2. Who is Michael Spivak and why is his proof significant?

Michael Spivak is a mathematician and author who is known for his contributions to the field of calculus. His proof of f(x) = c on [a, b] is significant because it provides a more formal and rigorous approach to proving the validity of this statement, which is often taken for granted in basic calculus courses.

3. What are the key steps in the Spivak proof of f(x) = c on [a, b]?

The key steps in the Spivak proof involve establishing the definition of a limit, using the epsilon-delta method to show the existence of a limit, and then using this to prove that f(x) = c for all values of x within the interval [a, b]. Other steps may include showing the continuity of f(x) on the interval and using the Intermediate Value Theorem.

4. How does the Spivak proof differ from other proofs of f(x) = c on [a, b]?

The Spivak proof is known for its rigor and detail, making use of advanced mathematical concepts such as limits and continuity. Other proofs may be more simplistic or rely on different techniques, such as the Mean Value Theorem or Rolle's Theorem.

5. Can the Spivak proof be applied to other functions besides f(x) = c on [a, b]?

Yes, the Spivak proof can be applied to other functions as long as they meet the necessary criteria, such as having a limit and being continuous on the given interval. However, the specific steps and techniques used in the proof may vary depending on the function being analyzed.