Need clarification on the margin of error in two different cases

In summary, the MOE from a sample proportion is 2√(p(1-p)/n) and is based on the assumption that the sample proportion is close to the population proportion. However, there is also a sampling distribution of sample proportions that gives a standard deviation, where the MOE is simply 2σ. When comparing a single sample proportion to the average from the sampling distribution, some questions may ignore the MOE for the sample proportion and only focus on whether it falls within the MOE for the sampling distribution. It is possible for there to be overlap between the two MOE, but it is not clear when to worry about one and when to worry about the other.
jldibble
TL;DR Summary
Sample Proportion vs. SD from Sampling Distribution of Sample Proportions
I need this in simple terms. Here's what I think I know so far (assuming 95% confidence level):

MOE from a sample proportion is 2√(p(1-p)/n) and I think this is assuming the sample proportion is close to the population proportion.

But then there is a sampling distribution of sample proportions which gives a standard deviation. The MOE in this case is just 2σ

Let's say I take a single sample proportion and want to compare it to the average from the sampling distribution. A lot of questions will do this and then ask if the value of the sample proportion is consistent with the data from the sampling distribution. It seems like these questions ignore the MOE for the sample proportion and just worry whether or not it falls within the MOE for the sampling distribution.

Couldn't there be some overlap between the two MOE? Am I missing something or not understanding this properly? I can't find examples when to worry about one and not the other.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're more likely to get an answer if you use standard terminology from mathematical statistics. I think you are using terms peculiar to opinion surveys. (e.g.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error )

jldibble said:
But then there is a sampling distribution of sample proportions which gives a standard deviation. The MOE in this case is just 2σ

Presumaby you wish ##\sigma## to denote the standard deviation of some random variable. Perhaps the random variable is the mean of a sum of N identically distributed bernoulli random variables.

If the probability of "success" on each realization of the bernoulli random variable is ##p## then the variance of a single realization is ##p(1-p)## and the variance of the mean of a sample of ##n## independent realizations is ##\frac{n p(1-p)}{n^2} = \frac {p(1-p)}{n}## If you intend ##\sigma## to mean the standard deviation of the mean of N realization, then ##\sigma = \sqrt{\frac{p(1-p)}{n}}##.

You are using the terms "sample proportion" and "average of the sampling distribution" as if they designate two different random variables. I don't understand how you define them.

For example, if I toss a coin 10 times and get 3 heads, the "sample proportion" could refer to 3/10, but 3/10 is also the average of 10 things, 3 of which are 1 and 7 of which are zero. So 3/10 can be called "the average of the sample". Do you intend "average of the sampling distribution" to mean that?

1. What is the margin of error?

The margin of error is a measure of the uncertainty or variability in a sample of data. It represents the maximum amount that the results of a study may differ from the true population value.

2. How is the margin of error calculated?

The margin of error is calculated by taking the standard error of the sample and multiplying it by a critical value, which is based on the desired confidence level. This critical value is typically found using a t-distribution or a z-distribution, depending on the sample size and other factors.

3. What is the difference between margin of error and confidence interval?

The margin of error and confidence interval are closely related, but they are not the same thing. The margin of error is a single value that represents the amount of uncertainty in a sample, while the confidence interval is a range of values that is likely to include the true population value with a certain level of confidence.

4. How does the sample size affect the margin of error?

The sample size has a direct impact on the margin of error. As the sample size increases, the margin of error decreases, meaning that the results of the study are more precise and closer to the true population value.

5. Can the margin of error be reduced to zero?

No, the margin of error cannot be reduced to zero. There will always be some level of uncertainty in any sample of data, and it is important to report the margin of error to provide a measure of the accuracy of the results.