Need Conceptual Framework for Reaction vs. Net Force

In summary, the problem of accelerating boxes that are touching is often confusing for many due to the varying net forces on each box and the concept of reaction forces. While the mathematical explanation is that the net force is different based on the mass of each box, the conceptual understanding of how the force is transferred between boxes can be difficult to grasp. Additionally, the idea that the forces from each box on the other are equivalent can be counterintuitive when considering the motion of the boxes. The provided link offers further insights and explanations for this common physics problem.
jon4444
I find the common physics problem of accelerating boxes that are touching very confusing. (To be clear, boxes are on surface, force comes from one side and all boxes accelerate. Questions typically ask about magnitude of force between particular boxes).
Once the boxes are accelerating, why is the net force on each different? I understand mathematically that it needs to be different if their masses are different (due to F=MA), but I can't get my head around it conceptually--what "happens" to the force as it gets transferred from box to box. Why does it vary?
Related, if the force from box 1 on box 2 is equivalent to the force from box 2 on box 1, why are they moving? Again, I get the idea that the reaction forces are different than the net forces, but conceptually, how can box 2 be accelerating if it's pushing just as hard back on box 1? (I.e., wouldn't the force coming from box 1 be "neutralized" by the reaction force?)
I know how to solve these problems to get the right answer in a textbook but any insights at the conceptual level to help develop a more intuitive understanding of the situation would be appreciated.
Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
jon4444 said:
Related, if the force from box 1 on box 2 is equivalent to the force from box 2 on box 1, why are they moving? Again, I get the idea that the reaction forces are different than the net forces, but conceptually, how can box 2 be accelerating if it's pushing just as hard back on box 1? (I.e., wouldn't the force coming from box 1 be "neutralized" by the reaction force?)
https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/physics/horsecart.htm

What is a conceptual framework for reaction vs. net force?

A conceptual framework for reaction vs. net force is a theoretical model that explains the relationship between these two concepts. It helps to understand the forces acting on a system and their resulting reactions.

Why is a conceptual framework important for studying reaction and net force?

A conceptual framework provides a structured approach to studying these concepts, helping to identify the key variables and their relationships. It also allows for a more comprehensive and systematic analysis of these forces.

What are the key components of a conceptual framework for reaction vs. net force?

The key components of a conceptual framework for reaction vs. net force include the identification of the forces involved, the direction and magnitude of these forces, and the resulting reactions. It also considers external factors that may influence the forces and reactions.

How does a conceptual framework for reaction vs. net force help in practical applications?

A conceptual framework can be used to predict and analyze the effects of forces on a system, allowing for better decision-making in various practical applications. For example, it can be used in engineering to design structures that can withstand certain forces.

Is there a universal conceptual framework for reaction vs. net force?

No, there is no universal conceptual framework for reaction vs. net force. The specific components and relationships may vary depending on the context and variables involved. However, there are general principles and theories that can be applied to develop a conceptual framework for a specific scenario.