Need help determining feasibility of designing a stability system

In summary, the conversation revolves around a recent graduate's interest in designing a stability control system for their 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX. They consider using the STi model's dynamic control system as a reference but are also inspired by the Nissan GT-R's electronic stability control system. They plan to use the STi center differential and a tune-able controller to control the front and rear differentials while also using the factory ABS system. Safety and performance testing will be a priority, and the conversation ends with a question about transportation during the design process.
hatched91
Hello everyone!

This is my first post here, and I'm a recent graduate (within 1yr) of a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I have always been a car nut, and I'm interested in designing, or installing and tuning, a stability control system for my car.

I recently purchased a 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX. The car is all wheel drive, and has open front and rear differentials, and a standard viscous coupling center differential. As many know, the STi model has a dynamic control system in it already. It utilizes a helical front diff, and a torsen rear diff, with an electrically controlled viscous coupling in the center (DCCD).

So why not just upgrade to an STi, instead of designing my own system? After some research, the mighty Nissan GT-R has an open front differential and uses an electronic stability control system to provide super handling. I would love to design such a system myself for my WRX...more-so for fun and learning about controls rather than from a cost-savings aspect.

So, how feasible is it to design a system for my car? Am I in way over my head? I would plan to use the STi center diff (DCCD), with a tune-able controller created by DCCDPro. I would intend to use the wheel speed sensors and abs module to actuate the brakes in order to provide stability control for the F&R diffs, while using the DCCDPro to control the center diff. Ideally, the two systems would work separately (at least at first), and would complement one another.

Any constructive thoughts/guidance?

Thanks for reading this lengthy post!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm afraid that I don't know anything about new cars, or foreign ones. My only concern is that you don't do anything to compromise the safety of the vehicle, for both yourself and bystanders. Rigorous testing should be implemented at every stage to ensure that you haven't inadvertently lengthened your braking distance or something else of a detrimental nature.
Also, think twice about it if your car is still under warrantee; that might void it.

Thanks for the consideration. There would be lots of safety testing, performance, and stability testing. Although the factory ABS system is fairly unintelligent, it would be necessary as to not impede it with the control unit. Ideally, this system would not start working until high g loads and rotation is seen and as an added control, only when high levels of throttle are applied. Also, I am not concerned about warranty.

What are you going to use for transportation while you have your car torn down/torn up?

1. What is a stability system?

A stability system is a set of measures and techniques used to ensure the structural integrity and safety of a building or structure. It helps prevent collapse, damage, or failure due to external forces such as wind, earthquakes, and human activities.

2. Why is it important to determine feasibility of designing a stability system?

Determining feasibility of designing a stability system is crucial because it helps ensure that the proposed design is safe, structurally sound, and cost-effective. It also helps identify potential challenges and limitations that may arise during the construction process.

3. What factors should be considered when determining feasibility of designing a stability system?

Several factors should be taken into account when assessing the feasibility of designing a stability system, including the location and environment of the structure, the type of building or structure, the intended use, the materials used, and the budget. Other factors may include local building codes and regulations, potential hazards, and the expertise and resources of the design team.

4. What are some common stability systems used in building design?

Some common stability systems used in building design include bracing systems, shear walls, moment frames, and foundations. These systems work together to distribute and resist external forces, ensuring the stability and safety of the structure.

5. How can the feasibility of designing a stability system be determined?

The feasibility of designing a stability system can be determined through various methods, such as computer simulations, structural analysis, and physical testing. It is also important to consult with experienced structural engineers and architects to assess the viability and effectiveness of the proposed design.