Need help developing an idea, solar energy heliostats

In summary, the speaker is asking if it is possible to use two helio stats to create two refraction points, with the second one focusing the solar energy back downwards. They also inquire about using multiple helio stats to magnify the beam at refraction point #2 and if it is possible to project the beam over long distances by using a curved mirror or lens. They mention that they are not a physics major and would appreciate any feedback.
dbalexanderr
So i was wondering could you use two helio stats so there was two refraction points, the second one focusing the beam of solar energy back downwards? If so could you use multiple helio stats to meet at refraction point # 2 magnifying the beam that's pointed downwards? In theory it should work correct? Also, could this beam be projected over long distances from refraction point #1 to #2 if focused correctly by a curved mirror/ helio stat or lens? In theory it should work, correct? I'm no physics major I could use any feedback. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
dbalexanderr said:
So i was wondering could you use two helio stats so there was two refraction points, the second one focusing the beam of solar energy back downwards? If so could you use multiple helio stats to meet at refraction point # 2 magnifying the beam that's pointed downwards? In theory it should work correct? Also, could this beam be projected over long distances from refraction point #1 to #2 if focused correctly by a curved mirror/ helio stat or lens? In theory it should work, correct? I'm no physics major I could use any feedback. Thank you!
Can you provide a diagram of what you mean? Your description isn't entirely clear, are you changing the direction the beam is propogating in more than once?

1. What is a heliostat?

A heliostat is a device that uses mirrors to reflect and concentrate sunlight onto a specific target, such as a solar panel or a receiver for solar thermal energy. This allows for the efficient collection and use of solar energy.

2. How do heliostats work?

Heliostats work by using a computer-controlled system to track the movement of the sun and adjust the position of the mirrors accordingly. This allows the mirrors to always reflect sunlight onto the desired target, maximizing the amount of solar energy collected.

3. What are the benefits of using heliostats for solar energy?

Heliostats offer several benefits for solar energy production. They allow for the collection of solar energy in areas that may not receive direct sunlight, they can be used to concentrate solar energy for more efficient use, and they can be controlled and adjusted to optimize energy collection throughout the day.

4. How can I develop an idea for using heliostats for solar energy?

Developing an idea for using heliostats for solar energy involves researching and understanding the current uses and limitations of heliostats, identifying potential applications or areas where heliostats can be beneficial, and considering the feasibility and cost-effectiveness of your idea. Collaboration with other experts in the field can also help to develop and refine your idea.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using heliostats for solar energy?

One of the main challenges of using heliostats for solar energy is the cost of installation and maintenance. Heliostats also require a large amount of space and may not be suitable for all locations. Additionally, the efficiency of heliostats can be affected by weather conditions, such as cloud coverage, and the angle and position of the sun throughout the day.