Levitating Metal with a Solar Cooker: A Feasibility Study

In summary, a solar cooker can be used to levitate a piece of metal using a focused beam of sunlight. The foil will do every possible trick to move to sides and rotate - leaving the beam.
dansmith170
TL;DR Summary
I would like to build a solar cooker that can levitate a thin piece of metal using sunlight, will it work?
I would like to build what is usually used for heat production and is called a solar cooker. However, I would like to use it to try to levitate a piece of metal.

Here are my assumptions:

A. aluminum density = 2.7 g / cm^3
B. Sunlight intensity on Earth's surface is about 1000 W / m^2
C. aluminum thickness = 2.5 micrometers (https://geistnote.com/2-5-m-aluminum-foil/)
D. Aluminum area = 1 centimeter squared
E. solar cooker area = about 2 square meters
F. acceleration due to gravity on Earth = about 9.9 meters / second^2
G. I take it that some kind of lens maybe be necessary to focus the light reflected off the solar cooker to a smaller area of about 1 square centimeter.

If my math is correct, I think the force of gravity on aluminum with the aforementioned specifications equals about 6.6 microNewtons. The force of sunlight focused from the solar cooker to an area of 1 square centimeter equals about 12 microNewtons. So, the resultant net force on the piece of aluminum foil should be about 6 microNewtons and should be directed skywards. This should cause the aluminum foil to levitate or move in the skyward direction, counter to the direction that gravity would otherwise cause it to move.

Does this sound like it could work? I guess one concern I have is whether this much focused light would melt the aluminum foil.

Physics news on Phys.org
dansmith170 said:
Does this sound like it could work? I guess one concern I have is whether this much focused light would melt the aluminum foil.
You must carry out the experiment in a vacuum, or the aluminium would instantly burn in the oxygen of the atmosphere, then rise as a thermal plume.

If you use a lens, the lens will get hot because it is not perfectly transparent at all wavelengths. Use mirrors that radiate heat from their back surface.

dansmith170 said:
G. I take it that some kind of lens maybe be necessary to focus the light reflected off the solar cooker to a smaller area of about 1 square centimeter.
The Sun has a diameter of just over 0.5 degrees when viewed from the Earth. You will need some fancy optics to concentrate that area of energy to a point, then collimate it to be a parallel beam, pushing in one direction.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, BillTre and berkeman
The foil will do every possible trick to move to sides and rotate - leaving the beam.

Likes russ_watters and Tom.G

1. Can metal actually be levitated using a solar cooker?

Yes, metal can be levitated using a solar cooker if the setup generates a magnetic field strong enough to counteract the metal's weight. This typically involves using concentrated solar power to induce electrical currents in the metal, creating magnetic fields that can cause levitation through principles similar to those used in electromagnetic levitation (maglev) technologies.

2. What types of metal are suitable for levitation in this experiment?

Metals that are good conductors of electricity, such as copper and aluminum, are suitable for this type of experiment. These metals facilitate the induction of strong magnetic fields necessary for levitation when exposed to high temperatures and electromagnetic conditions created by a solar cooker.

3. What are the key factors that determine the success of levitating metal with a solar cooker?

The success of levitating metal with a solar cooker depends on several factors including the intensity and focus of the solar energy, the properties of the metal (such as conductivity and magnetic permeability), and the design of the solar cooker to efficiently convert solar energy into a high-temperature, high-energy state capable of affecting the metal's electromagnetic properties.

4. Are there any practical applications of levitating metal using solar energy?

While primarily experimental at this stage, practical applications could include contactless processing and handling of materials in industries where contamination or physical contact needs to be minimized, such as in semiconductor manufacturing or material sciences. Additionally, this technology could inspire new approaches to solar-powered transportation or magnetic levitation systems.

5. What are the safety considerations when conducting such experiments?

Safety is paramount in experiments involving high temperatures and magnetic fields. Protective gear should be worn at all times to shield against intense heat and UV radiation from the solar cooker. Additionally, precautions must be taken to ensure that the experimental setup is stable and secure, and that bystanders are kept at a safe distance to avoid exposure to potential hazards.