Need help factoring and understanding Grouping

In summary, to factor 6t^2+17t+7, you can first factor out "3t" from the first two terms and "7" from the last two terms. This leaves you with (6t+7)(t+1). This is the final answer.
hououin kyouma1
I need to factor 6t^2+17t+7 when I break down the equation I get 6t^2+3t+14t+7 now I am not sure what to do after that to get my answer can someone please explain the steps for me thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hououin kyouma said:
I need to factor 6t^2+17t+7 when I break down the equation I get 6t^2+3t+14t+7 now I am not sure what to do after that to get my answer can someone please explain the steps for me thank you!

Factorise the first two terms, and factorise the second two terms. Then you should see a common factor.

hououin kyouma said:
I need to factor 6t^2+17t+7 when I break down the equation I get 6t^2+3t+14t+7
I presume you wrote it that way because you can now factor "3t" out of "6t^2+ 3t and factor "7" out of "14t+ 7". What does that leave?

now I am not sure what to do after that to get my answer can someone please explain the steps for me thank you!

1. What is grouping in factoring?

Grouping in factoring is a method of rearranging the terms in a polynomial to identify common factors. This can make factoring more efficient and help simplify the expression.

2. How do I know when to use grouping in factoring?

Grouping is typically used when a polynomial has four or more terms and can be grouped into two pairs with common factors. It can also be used when factoring by grouping is explicitly stated in the instructions.

3. What is the basic process for factoring by grouping?

The basic process for factoring by grouping involves identifying two pairs of terms with common factors, factoring out the common factors, and then factoring the remaining terms to find the final factored expression.

4. Can grouping be used for any type of polynomial?

Yes, grouping can be used for any type of polynomial as long as it meets the requirements of having four or more terms that can be grouped into two pairs with common factors.

5. What are some tips for factoring and understanding grouping more easily?

Some tips for factoring and understanding grouping more easily include practicing with different types of polynomials, using visual aids such as factoring diagrams, and checking your work by multiplying the factored expression to ensure it equals the original polynomial.