Particle acceleration/displacement question

• Thread starter Lami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary: Unit vectors are always perpendicular to each other and they have the same length. Unit vectors are denoted by u, v, and w in vector notation. In summary, the particle moves in the x-y plane relative to a fixed point O. Initially, the particle is at the point 6i-2j, where I and J are position vectors in the directions of the x and y-axis respectively. The particle moves such that t seconds after the start of its moition, the velocity of the particle is given by 3cos(3t)i - 2sin(6t)j.
Lami

Homework Statement

A particle moves in the x-y plane relative to a fixed point O. Initially, the particle is at the point 6i-2j, where I and J are position vectors in the directions of the x and y-axis respectively. The particle moves such that t seconds after the start of its moition, the velocity of the particle is given by 3cos(3t)i - 2sin(6t)j. Find an expression in terms of t for:

a) acceleration of particle
b) its displacement
[Hint: Use radiains]

Homework Equations

a) Chain rule for differenting dy/dx = dt/dx * dt/dx the function 3cos(3t)i - 2sin(6t)j
b) Integration of function 3cos(3t)i - 2sin(6t)j

The Attempt at a Solution

a) -9sin(3t)i - 12cos(6t)j
b) sin(3t)i + 1/3cos(6t)j + c.

Further
I don't really get ijk notation or how to use it effectively. I know how to switch from polar to component form for simple equations, but with trigonometric functions I'm getting really confused. I have no idea if what I'm doing is correct for this. I'm assuming 6i-2j is its displacement, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I know t= d/v, but that's about it. Any hints/resources to help me get around using ijk in mechanics based questions would be great.

Edit: I realized that if t=0, then s = 6i-2j. So to solve for c, 6i-2j = sin(3t)i + 1/3cos(6t)j + c. But aye, any useful redirects to worthwhile resources on ijk stuff would be great.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to embrace and understand the ijk notation instead of getting around it. It helps you write and manipulate vector equations keeping the x, y and z components sorted out. Your assumption that ##6\hat i-2\hat j## is the displacement is incorrect. The problem clearly states that it is the initial position of the particle. It's the position where you will find the particle at t = 0. This means that if you replace ##t## with ##0## in your expression for the position (not the displacement), you should get ##6\hat i-2\hat j##, but if you replace ##t## with ##0## in your expression for the displacement, you should get zero.

It seems that so far you have used the unit vector as effectively as is possible.

Last edited:

What is particle acceleration?

Particle acceleration is the increase in the speed of a particle over a certain distance or time. It can occur naturally in phenomena such as lightning strikes or in man-made devices like particle accelerators.

How is particle acceleration studied?

Particle acceleration is studied through experiments and simulations using equipment such as particle accelerators, detectors, and computer models. Scientists also observe and analyze natural phenomena that involve particle acceleration, such as cosmic rays.

What are the practical applications of particle acceleration?

Particle acceleration has a wide range of practical applications, including medical imaging and cancer treatment, industrial processes such as cutting and welding, and particle physics research. It also plays a role in creating renewable energy sources such as nuclear fusion.

What is the difference between particle acceleration and displacement?

Particle acceleration refers to the increase in speed of a particle, while displacement refers to the change in position of a particle. Acceleration can occur without displacement, such as in circular motion, and displacement can occur without acceleration, such as in constant velocity motion.

How does particle acceleration affect the behavior of particles?

Particle acceleration can cause changes in the behavior of particles, such as increased energy and momentum. It can also lead to the creation of new particles through processes like pair production. In astrophysics, particle acceleration can contribute to phenomena like cosmic rays and black hole jets.