Need Help Finding Cheap Vibration Testing Equipment

In summary, the conversation is about a research project on the effect of ambient vibration frequency on a piezoelectric energy harvester. The person is looking for a cheap vibration shaker and software for measuring displacement and power output. They also mention using a loudspeaker for lightweight items and finding the best matching resistor. Other forum members offer suggestions and solutions to the person's questions.
hiimjane
Hi PF,
I hope I'm doing this right, first post. I need help with a research project for the effect of the ambient vibration frequency at resonance for a piezoelectric energy harvester (It's well documented, I know, but I have to do an experiment with it anyways).

Anyways, I noticed that vibration shakers are EXTREMELY expensive. I was looking for a cheap one that could do a basic frequency sweep from around 0-1000 Hz so I could find the resonance of the piezoelectric. The ones I found were over $5,000, which is way too much for me. Specific models of cheap ones would be SUPER helpful.

Also, I could use some help finding software that would measure the displacement and power output as well as something that could help me find the best matching resistor. Remember that I'm on a budget here...

Thanks!
Jane

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A loudspeaker makes a shake table for lightweight items.

If you don't want to damage the speaker, stretch a thin rubber sheet over it, or some plasticwrap from the kitchen, and glue the piezo device to its center.
Watch out for the resonance of the speaker though. It's generally below 200Hz, and for 8-inch and larger speakers below 50Hz isn't unusual.

For matching resistor selection probably a Resistance Substitution Box is your best bet. The cheap ones (<$10 US the last time I looked) look like a hockey puck with two wires with clips coming out of them.

Can't think of a cheap, reliable way to measure displacement. Perhaps something optical, or even visual with a ruler.
Hopefully someone else on the site has something.

Likes hiimjane
Tom.G said:
A loudspeaker makes a shake table for lightweight items.

I don't think I'd be able to do a reliable frequency sweep with a loudspeaker though, right? o_O

hiimjane said:
I don't think I'd be able to do a reliable frequency sweep with a loudspeaker though, right? o_O
As long as you can control the amplitude and frequency, you should be able to "level" the amplitude of the displacement. You might use a strobe light to help you see the extent of the vibration peaks.

hiimjane said:
I can find the voltage using an oscilloscope, but how about current?
If you know the voltage and the resistance then I=E/R; Amps = Volts/Ohms

Likes hiimjane

1. What is vibration testing equipment?

Vibration testing equipment is a type of scientific equipment that is used to test the response of products or materials to vibration, typically in a controlled laboratory setting. This equipment is designed to simulate real-world vibrations and measure their effects on the product or material being tested.

2. Why is vibration testing important?

Vibration testing is important because it helps identify potential issues and weaknesses in products or materials, allowing for improvements to be made before they are released to the market. It also ensures that products meet safety and performance standards.

3. What factors should I consider when looking for cheap vibration testing equipment?

When looking for cheap vibration testing equipment, it is important to consider factors such as the type of vibration (e.g. mechanical, environmental), the frequency range, the amplitude range, the accuracy and precision of the equipment, and the compatibility with your testing materials.

4. Where can I find affordable vibration testing equipment?

There are several options for finding affordable vibration testing equipment. You can search for deals or discounts from manufacturers, look for used equipment from reliable sellers, or consider renting equipment instead of purchasing it.

5. How do I know if the vibration testing equipment is of good quality?

To determine if vibration testing equipment is of good quality, you should look for certifications or accreditations from reputable organizations, read reviews or testimonials from other users, and inquire about the warranty or return policy. It is also important to carefully assess the specifications and features of the equipment to ensure they meet your testing needs.