Need help finding the density in this particular problem

• Thread starter Alexandra7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume and density of an object based on its weight in air and when immersed in alcohol of a certain density. The formula D=m/v is used to solve for the volume, which is found to be 8.6L. However, there is confusion about how to find the density of the object. The correct approach is to use the total weight of the object and solve for density using the same formula. The missing information is what force represents the total weight of the object.
Alexandra7

Homework Statement

A particular object weighs 313 N in air and 254 N when immersed in alcohol of density 0.7 g/cm3. What are the volume and the density of the object?

Homework Equations

D=m/vL

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the volume by: 313-254 N to find the actual weight, then I divided it by 9.8 to get it into Kg, then I used the density formula to solve for volume which gave me 8.6L

So the volume is taken care of! 50% of the problem done :)!

As for the density, I'm confused because I thought I would just plug in my known values but it doesn't work. Can someone please guide me as to how I would find the density of this object? I greatly appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show what you do and get when you say "just plug in my values".

Orodruin said:
Can you show what you do and get when you say "just plug in my values".

6.02kg from the two forces/ 8.6L that I found out from part a) =D

but it doesn't :[

Which force represents the total weight of the object? What you are solving for above is the density of the alcohol.

Can you please solve the second part pleaseee, need it for an assignment thanks

jacksonlee said:
Can you please solve the second part pleaseee, need it for an assignment thanks
Usual forum rules... please post your attempt first.

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of the amount of mass in a given volume of a substance. It is typically represented as mass per unit volume, such as grams per cubic centimeter.

2. How do I calculate density?

Density can be calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. The equation for density is: density = mass/volume. Make sure the units for mass and volume are consistent, such as both being in grams and cubic centimeters.

3. What units are used for density?

The most commonly used units for density are grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm^3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3). However, depending on the substance and the situation, other units such as pounds per cubic inch or ounces per gallon may also be used.

4. How do I find the density in a particular problem?

To find the density in a particular problem, you will need to know the mass and volume of the substance. If these values are not given, you may need to use other information provided in the problem to find them. Once you have the mass and volume, simply plug them into the density equation (density = mass/volume) to calculate the density.

5. What are some common substances and their densities?

The density of a substance can vary depending on factors such as temperature and pressure, but here are the densities of a few common substances at room temperature:

• Water: 1 g/cm^3
  • Iron: 7.9 g/cm^3
  • Gold: 19.3 g/cm^3
  • Air: 0.0012 g/cm^3
  • Oil: 0.9 g/cm^3