Need help getting diameter of shaft

In summary, on page 390 of the book, question 9.11 discusses the calculation of the bending moment and torque moment for an intermediate shaft of a gearbox supporting two spur gears A and B mounted between two bearings. The calculated bending moment is 133770.56N.mm and the torque moment is 143000N.mm. The diameter calculated is 27.53mm, but the actual answer is 27.15mm, leading to uncertainty and the need for clarification.
Raishin
Here is the link to the question:
http://books.google.com.my/books?id... A and B mounted between two bearings&f=falseThe bending moment that I have calculated is 133770.56N.mm
Torque moment,143000N.mm

diameter:27.53mm actual answer 27.15mm

I am not sure if I did it correctly or maybe there is a mistake in the actual answer.Anybody can help shed a light on this matter helps me a a lot.Thanks.

Question 9.11,page 390

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your link points to an entire book. At least provide a page reference or problem number so we don't have to search the entire tome.

Sorry,i missed out the question,its 9.11,page 390 and its already at the page.Thanks.

Related to Need help getting diameter of shaft

1. What is the purpose of determining the diameter of a shaft?

Determining the diameter of a shaft is important in engineering and manufacturing processes as it helps ensure proper fit and function of mechanical components. It is also necessary for calculating the strength and load-bearing capacity of a shaft.

2. How do you measure the diameter of a shaft?

The most accurate way to measure the diameter of a shaft is by using a caliper or micrometer. These tools allow you to get precise measurements of the shaft's diameter at various points.

3. Can the diameter of a shaft be calculated using its circumference?

Yes, the diameter of a shaft can be calculated using its circumference. The formula for this is d = c/pi, where d is the diameter and c is the circumference. However, it is always recommended to directly measure the diameter for more accurate results.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring the diameter of a shaft?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring the diameter of a shaft include the quality and precision of the measuring tool, the condition of the shaft's surface, and the skill and technique of the person taking the measurements.

5. Are there any other methods for determining the diameter of a shaft?

Aside from using a caliper or micrometer, there are other methods for determining the diameter of a shaft, such as using a go/no-go gauge or a dial indicator. However, these methods may not be as accurate as direct measurement and are usually reserved for quick checks or rough estimates.