Need help in solving an integral

• Thread starter Schulerbible
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: DL))*sin(θi*cos(t)/(2DL))] ∂θi ∂t= pi/(bL) * ∫ Io(θ*cos(t)/(2DL)) * exp(-θ^2/(4DL)) ∂t - pi/(bL) * ∫ Io(θ*cos(t)/(2DL)) * exp(-θ^2/(4DL)) ∂t= pi/(bL) * [Io(θ*cos(t)/(2DL)) - Io(θ*cos(t)/(2DL))] = 0In summary, using known identities and careful manipulation, we have shown that the integral F(θi,θ)
Schulerbible
Dear Physics Forums users,

My name is Tobias and I'm actually stucking in solving an integral with modified Bessel function of zeroth order. I haven't had that much math in my life to solve this horrible integral. This problem is concerning my private interest to build up a model predicting some weired behaviour in optical fibre cables. Basically function P has to be insert in F(θi,θ) and must be solved by this integral. I just want to know the outcome of the integral. Inserting the limits should be less problematic.

P(θi,θ) = 1/(bL) * exp(-(θ^2+θi^2)/(4DL))* Io ((θ*θi)/(2DL))

b = constant
L = length
D = constant
θ = output angle
θi = incident angle

F(θi,θ) = 2*pi ∫ P(θi,θ)*sin(θi) ∂θi

The integral limits are 0 → Δθ

Thanks a lot.

cheers Tobias

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Tobias,

Thank you for reaching out to Physics Forums for help with your integral problem. The modified Bessel function of zeroth order can be quite tricky to work with, but with some careful manipulation and use of known identities, it can be solved.

First, let's rewrite the integral as follows:

F(θi,θ) = 2*pi ∫ 1/(bL) * exp(-(θ^2+θi^2)/(4DL))* Io ((θ*θi)/(2DL))*sin(θi) ∂θi

= 2*pi/(bL) * ∫ exp(-(θ^2+θi^2)/(4DL))* Io ((θ*θi)/(2DL))*sin(θi) ∂θi

Next, we can use the identity Io(x) = (1/π) ∫ cos(x*cos(t))*dt to rewrite the modified Bessel function within the integral:

F(θi,θ) = 2*pi/(bL*π) * ∫ exp(-(θ^2+θi^2)/(4DL))* ∫ cos((θ*θi)*cos(t)/(2DL))*sin(θi) ∂θi ∂t

= 2*pi/(bL*π) * ∫ ∫ exp(-(θ^2+θi^2)/(4DL))*cos((θ*θi)*cos(t)/(2DL))*sin(θi) ∂θi ∂t

Using the product-to-sum identity cos(A)*sin(B) = (1/2)*(sin(A+B)-sin(A-B)), we can further simplify the integral:

F(θi,θ) = pi/(bL*π) * ∫ ∫ exp(-(θ^2+θi^2)/(4DL))*[sin((θ+θi)*cos(t)/(2DL))-sin((θ-θi)*cos(t)/(2DL))] ∂θi ∂t

= pi/(bL) * ∫ [exp(-θ^2/(4DL))*sin(θ*cos(t)/(2DL))] ∫ [exp(-θi^2/(4DL))*sin(θi*cos(t)/(2DL))] ∂θi ∂t - pi/(bL) * ∫ [exp(-θ^2/(4DL))*sin(θ*cos(t)/(2DL

Related to Need help in solving an integral

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It can be thought of as the inverse operation of differentiation, and it is used to find the area under a curve or the total value of a function.

2. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You will also need to apply the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function is equal to the difference between the antiderivative of the function evaluated at the upper and lower limits of the interval.

3. What are the different types of integrals?

There are several types of integrals, including definite integrals, indefinite integrals, improper integrals, and line integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration, while indefinite integrals do not. Improper integrals involve infinite limits, and line integrals are used to find the work done by a vector field along a curve.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an integral?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs that can help you solve integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration, as blindly relying on a calculator may lead to errors.

5. Why is solving integrals important in science?

Solving integrals is crucial in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and statistics. It allows us to find the total value of a quantity over a given interval, which is essential for understanding and predicting real-world phenomena. Integrals are also used to calculate important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and probability.