Need Help Mech. Eng. -- An ideal Rankine cycle

In summary, the correct entropy at the turbine inlet is 1.58 Btu/lb-R and the correct enthalpy at the turbine inlet and outlet are 1300 and 900 BTu/lbm respectively. The percent moisture of the steam at the turbine outlet is 22%. The enthalpy at the pump inlet and outlet cannot be determined without more information. Using the values from parts (a), (b), and (d), the cycle efficiency can be calculated to be approximately 32.81%. The work output of the turbine is 395 Btu/lbm. The heat rejected by the condenser is 810 Btu/lbm and the heat added to the boiler is 1204 Btu/lbm.
Wilbert
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS IS A MISPLACED COURSEWORK THREAD, SO NO TEMPLATE WAS USED

I need help verifying the correct answers for the following questions.

2. An ideal Rankine cycle is operated with a turbine inlet pressure of 500 psia and an inlet temperature of 600 oF. The steam is isentropically expanded through the turbine to 2 psia as shown in the following T-s diagram. Under these operating conditions, find the following .
(a) Using the Mollier diagram on page 9 of this exam, find the entropy at the turbine inlet and turbine outlet. Clearly identify the turbine inlet and outlet entropies on the given Mollier diagram.

I was given 1765 btu/R from another source

My Ans. 1.56 Btu/lb-R
(b) Using the Mollier diagram, find the enthalpy at the turbine inlet and turbine outlet. Clearly identify the turbine inlet and outlet enthalpies on the given Mollier diagram.

Another source 1560 BTu/lbm

My ans. h4=1300 BTu/lbm h5= 900 BTu/lbm
(c) Using the Mollier diagram , determine percent moisture of the steam at the turbine outlet.

another source 8%

My ans 22%
(d) Using the steam tables, determine the enthalpy at the pump inlet and pump outlet (neglect pump work).

Work done by the pump is equal to w/pump = h2 - h1

since pump work has to be neglect h2 ≅ h1

Enthapy at inlet and outlet of pump is 89.575 Btu/lbm
(e) Using values obtained from part (a), part (b), and part (d), determine the cycle efficiency (neglect pump work)Efficiency = Net work done / Heat input cycle

395/1205 = 32.81%

(f) Determine the work output of the turbine.

W = h3 - h4 = 1300 -905 =395 Btu/lbm(g) Determine the heat rejected by the condenser.

Heat rejected by condenser = h4 - h1 = 905 -94 = 810 Btu/lbm(h) Determine the heat gain or heat added to the boiler.

Heat added to boiler = h3 - h3 = 1300 - 95.5 = 1204 btu/lbm

Attachments

• mollier chart.png
    mollier chart.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 6,368
  • Doc1.pdf
    69.5 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wilbert said:
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS IS A MISPLACED COURSEWORK THREAD, SO NO TEMPLATE WAS USED

I need help verifying the correct answers for the following questions.

2. An ideal Rankine cycle is operated with a turbine inlet pressure of 500 psia and an inlet temperature of 600 oF. The steam is isentropically expanded through the turbine to 2 psia as shown in the following T-s diagram. Under these operating conditions, find the following .
(a) Using the Mollier diagram on page 9 of this exam, find the entropy at the turbine inlet and turbine outlet. Clearly identify the turbine inlet and outlet entropies on the given Mollier diagram.

I was given 1765 btu/R from another source

My Ans. 1.58 Btu/lb-R
(b) Using the Mollier diagram, find the enthalpy at the turbine inlet and turbine outlet. Clearly identify the turbine inlet and outlet enthalpies on the given Mollier diagram.

Another source 1560 BTu/lbm

My ans. h4=1300 BTu/lbm h5= 900 BTu/lbm
(c) Using the Mollier diagram , determine percent moisture of the steam at the turbine outlet.

another source 8%

My ans 22%
(d) Using the steam tables, determine the enthalpy at the pump inlet and pump outlet (neglect pump work).

Not sure
(e) Using values obtained from part (a), part (b), and part (d), determine the cycle efficiency (neglect pump work)not sure(f) Determine the work output of the turbine.

not sure(g) Determine the heat rejected by the condenser.
not sure
(h) Determine the heat gain or heat added to the boiler.

Your "another source" is in wild disagreement with the Mollier chart you posted. I would discard this other source entirely, as it will only confuse and mislead you.

I don't read an s for your turbine of 1.58 BTU/lb-R, but you are close.

Answering "not sure" to the rest of these questions is not a sufficient attempt at providing a solution. If you care to take a stab at providing actual answers, then more help will be forthcoming.

What is an ideal Rankine cycle?

An ideal Rankine cycle is a thermodynamic cycle used in steam power plants to convert heat energy into mechanical work. It is based on the theoretical concept of a perfect cycle with no energy losses or inefficiencies.

What is the purpose of a Rankine cycle?

The purpose of a Rankine cycle is to generate electricity by using steam to drive a turbine, which then turns a generator to produce electricity. It is commonly used in power plants to produce electricity from various fuel sources such as coal, natural gas, or nuclear power.

What are the main components of a Rankine cycle?

The main components of a Rankine cycle include a boiler, turbine, condenser, and pump. The boiler is where heat is added to convert water into steam, which then passes through the turbine to produce mechanical work. The steam is then condensed back into liquid form in the condenser and pumped back into the boiler to repeat the cycle.

What factors affect the efficiency of a Rankine cycle?

The efficiency of a Rankine cycle is affected by several factors, including the temperature and pressure of the steam, the quality of the steam, and the type of working fluid used. The efficiency can also be improved by using regenerative feedwater heating and reheating the steam before it enters the turbine.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a Rankine cycle?

The main advantage of a Rankine cycle is its ability to efficiently convert heat energy into mechanical work, making it a widely used method for generating electricity. However, the cycle can be costly to operate and maintain, and it also produces greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, it is not suitable for small-scale applications due to its large size and high capital costs.