Need help on freefall by 10:00 EST tonight Assignment is due today.

In summary, the homework problem involves a firecracker being shot straight up at a speed of 54.00 m/s. The first part of the problem asks for the height of the firecracker 5.4000 seconds later when it explodes. The second part asks for the speed of the firecracker at the moment of explosion. The third part asks for the distance of the firecracker from its maximum possible height, given the acceleration of gravity to be 9.800 m/s. The solution involves finding the time at which the firecracker reaches its peak and then using that time in an equation to find the height at the moment of explosion.
Bensky
This is due by 10:00 tonight, I have gotten all the problems right except for the last one which I cannot figure out. If anyone could help that would be nice. :) Thanks.

Homework Statement

A lit firecracker is shot straight up into the air at a speed of 54.00 m/s. How high is it above ground level 5.4000 s later when it explodes?
______ m
How fast is it moving when it blows up?
______ m/s
How far is it from its maximum possible height? Ignore drag and take g equal to 9.800 m/s
______ m

Homework Equations

highest point - v^2 = vo^2+2g(x-x0)
v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

v^2=vo^2 + 2g(x-x0)
0=(54^2)+2(9.8)(x)
-2916=19.6x

ignore -sign
x = 148.78 m (highest pt)

v=d/t
54=d/5.4
d= 291.6 m (for part one, doesn't make sense, greater than the highest point?)

Physics news on Phys.org
First find when it peaks, so with an acceleration of g=-9.8m/s^2 you'd have:
[tex]v = v_0 +gt[/tex]
When v=0, then you'll have the time at the peak. If this is greater than 5.9 seconds, it's all straight forward, if it's less, then the firecracker reaches the peak, and starts falling before exploding. So you'll have to consider that.

PiratePhysicist said:
First find when it peaks, so with an acceleration of g=-9.8m/s^2 you'd have:
[tex]v = v_0 +gt[/tex]
When v=0, then you'll have the time at the peak. If this is greater than 5.9 seconds, it's all straight forward, if it's less, then the firecracker reaches the peak, and starts falling before exploding. So you'll have to consider that.

Ok, I got ~5.51, but where are you getting 5.9 seconds from...?

Last edited:
whoops, meant 5.4000 s ^_^

OK, but I'm still confused on what you do after this. Can you tell me which formula I use to do part 1? I used one formula but it didn't accept the answer when I put it in. :\

Well, since the time it explodes at is less than the time it peaks, we just have to plug in the explosion time [tex]t_e[/tex] into an equation that considers constant acceleration and an initial velocity. Take
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=a[/tex]
Integrate twice plugging [tex]v_0[/tex] and [tex]x_0[/tex] in for the constants of integration and you get
[tex]x = x_0 +v_0 t + \frac{1}{2} g t^2[/tex]
if plug in [tex]t_e[/tex] in for t, 54.00 in for [tex]v_0[/tex] and 0 in for [tex]x_0[/tex] you should get the height of the firecracker when it explodes.

PiratePhysicist said:
Well, since the time it explodes at is less than the time it peaks, we just have to plug in the explosion time [tex]t_e[/tex] into an equation that considers constant acceleration and an initial velocity. Take
[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=a[/tex]
Integrate twice plugging [tex]v_0[/tex] and [tex]x_0[/tex] in for the constants of integration and you get
if plug in [tex]t_e[/tex] in for t, 54.00 in for [tex]v_0[/tex] and 0 in for [tex]x_0[/tex] you should get the height of the firecracker when it explodes.

I did this:
x = 0 + (54)(5.4)+(1/2)(9.8)(5.4^2)
x= 434.484 m

rounded that to 434.5 m and the computer told me it was wrong. :\ Did I do anything wrong?

You have the remember the sign on g, your equation has the firecracker speeding up as time goes on, it should be slowing down, so set g=-9.80

PiratePhysicist said:
You have the remember the sign on g, your equation has the firecracker speeding up as time goes on, it should be slowing down, so set g=-9.80

Wow, that was dumb of me. I sat here for like 30 minutes trying to figure out why this wasn't working haha.

Thanks for the help! I can probably figure out the rest easily, i'll respond here if I have any more questions..

Related to Need help on freefall by 10:00 EST tonight Assignment is due today.

1. What is freefall?

Freefall is a term used to describe the motion of an object under the influence of gravity alone. It occurs when an object is falling with no other forces acting on it, such as air resistance or friction.

2. How does freefall differ from normal falling?

Freefall differs from normal falling in that it is a state of acceleration due to gravity, whereas normal falling may involve other forces that can affect the motion of the object. In freefall, the object is only under the influence of gravity.

3. How is freefall related to the concept of weightlessness?

Freefall is closely related to the concept of weightlessness, as it is the state in which an object experiences no apparent weight due to the absence of any contact forces. This can occur when an object is in orbit around a planet or in a state of freefall.

4. Can you provide an example of freefall?

A classic example of freefall is when a skydiver jumps out of a plane and falls towards the ground. During this time, the skydiver is only under the influence of gravity and experiences no other forces acting on them.

5. How does air resistance affect freefall?

Air resistance can affect freefall by slowing down the object's acceleration and ultimately its speed. This is because air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of the object, and it becomes more significant as the object gains speed in its fall.