Need help, Series RLC resonance circuit, not getting high voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of a series RLC circuit as a magnetic field transmitter. The parameters used include L:1.15mH, R: 50+0.58, and C: 1nf. Using equations to calculate w0 and Vc, it is expected to have a voltage of around 108V rms across the capacitor. However, when measured using an oscilloscope, the voltage is only 60V pk-pk and 20V max. Possible reasons for this discrepancy could be the use of a square wave instead of a pure signal and the limitation of the voltage source. The use of a sine wave and the restriction of power were also mentioned as possible solutions.
kougou
Hi all.

I am currently building a series RLC circuit as a magnetic field transmitter. Because I want to have a strong magnetic field, I need high voltage by making the circuit at resonance.
Here are the parameter I used:
L:1.15mH
R: 50 (internal resistance from functional generator )+ 0.58 (from inductor)
C: 1 nf.

Using equation the equations w0=1/sqrt(LC), and Vc= Q Vs= 1/R*sqrt(L/C)*vs,
w0=148kHz, and Q=21.2V, and Vs=5V(square wave), so voltage across capacitor should be around 108 V rms.

But using the oscilloscope, the V pk-pk voltage measured is only about 60 V, Vmax is about 20V.

So, why am I not getting the calculated result?

Physics news on Phys.org
A square wave is not a pure signal is it?
What happens when you put a range of frequencies into a resonator?
It could also be that your voltage source cannot provide more than 20V.

Simon Bridge said:
A square wave is not a pure signal is it?
What happens when you put a range of frequencies into a resonator?
It could also be that your voltage source cannot provide more than 20V.

Thank you for your reply
The source is square wave, and it's jumping from 0 V to 5V. But the resonance voltage across the capacitor should be 5*Q=108V rms. One possiblity is that the functional generator doesn't provide that much current.
Besides that,
I don't know why my circuit doesn't know. Do you have any idea.

You are going to be restricted by the available power yes.
Have you tried driving the circuit with a sine wave?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your series RLC resonance circuit. It sounds like you are trying to create a strong magnetic field by achieving high voltage at resonance. However, you are not getting the expected results when measuring the voltage across the capacitor.

There could be a few factors contributing to this issue. First, it is important to make sure that all of your components are properly connected and functioning correctly. Check for any loose connections or faulty components that may be affecting the circuit's performance.

Another possibility is that there may be some energy loss in the circuit, resulting in a lower voltage than expected. This could be due to factors such as resistance in the wires or components, or leakage in the capacitor. You may want to check for any sources of energy loss and try to minimize them as much as possible.

Additionally, it is important to consider the limitations of your equipment. The functional generator and oscilloscope may not be able to accurately measure high voltages, so the readings you are getting may not be entirely accurate. You may want to try using more precise equipment or techniques for measuring voltage, such as a digital multimeter or a voltage divider circuit.

I hope these suggestions help you troubleshoot and improve the performance of your series RLC circuit. Remember to always double check your calculations and make sure all components are functioning properly. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a Series RLC resonance circuit?

A Series RLC resonance circuit is an electrical circuit consisting of a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series. It is a type of filter circuit that is used to select a specific frequency from a signal.

2. How does a Series RLC resonance circuit work?

In a Series RLC resonance circuit, the inductive reactance (XL) and capacitive reactance (XC) cancel each other out at a specific frequency, known as the resonant frequency. This causes the impedance of the circuit to be at its minimum, resulting in a high voltage across the circuit.

3. Why am I not getting high voltage in my Series RLC resonance circuit?

There could be several reasons for not getting a high voltage in a Series RLC resonance circuit. Some possible causes include a faulty component, incorrect component values, or a mismatch between the input frequency and the resonant frequency of the circuit.

4. How can I troubleshoot my Series RLC resonance circuit?

To troubleshoot a Series RLC resonance circuit, you can check the individual components for any signs of damage or malfunction. You can also measure the component values and compare them to the expected values. Additionally, you can check if the input frequency matches the resonant frequency of the circuit.

5. How can I improve the voltage output of my Series RLC resonance circuit?

To improve the voltage output of a Series RLC resonance circuit, you can try adjusting the component values to better match the desired frequency. You can also try adding an amplifier or a transformer to boost the voltage. Additionally, ensuring good connections and using high-quality components can also help improve the voltage output.