Need help solving Doppler Effect with sound question

In summary, the ambulance was traveling at a speed of 22 m/s based on the change in frequency of its siren as it passed a car traveling at a constant speed of 15.0 m/s. This was calculated using the equation for the Doppler effect of sound, taking into account the relative velocities of the ambulance and car relative to the air.
GravityInTheX

Homework Statement

As you drive at a speed of 15.0 m/s an ambulance approaches you from behind with its siren blaring at a frequency of 1022 Hz. After the ambulance has passed you the signal is now 981 Hz. If both you and the ambulance travel at a constant speed how fast was the ambulance traveling?

A. 16.0 m/s
B. 18.0 m/s
C. 20.0 m/s
D. 22.0 m/s
E. 24.0 m/s

Homework Equations

f0=fs(1/(1+vs/v))

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I could use the ambulance's speed relative to the car, so I used the above equation for when a source is moving away from a stationary observer. I plugged in all the variables an solved for vs. I ended up getting vs being equal to 14.33. I then assumed since the speed was calculated with the car having a speed of 0 m/s, I simply added the speed of the car. That got me 29.33 m/s, which doesn't happen to be an answer choice. What am I doing wrong? Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Doppler effect of sound does not depend on the relative velocities alone, you cannot find the relative velocity without taking into account that you move relative to the air.

So which equation would I use?

You can still use this equation, but you have to apply it first to the ambulance (relative to the air) and then to you (relative to their air).

how do you apply it relative to the air?

Okay so I did this, and got 22 m/s. Is this correct?

Sorry for the messy handwriting

Attachments

• Qz_20 _ 21 (Take-Home).pdf
    201.7 KB · Views: 215
isn't the original equation fo=fs(1+- vo/v)/(1+-vs/v)

hopelessphysics said:
isn't the original equation fo=fs(1+- vo/v)/(1+-vs/v)
That's both steps (ambulance and our car) combined, yes.

22m/s is correct.

Thank you so much!

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the source of the wave. It is commonly observed in sound waves, where the pitch of a sound appears higher when the source is approaching and lower when the source is moving away.

2. How does the Doppler Effect apply to sound waves?

The Doppler Effect applies to sound waves because sound is a type of wave and follows the same principles as other waves. When a sound source is moving towards the observer, the waves are compressed and the frequency appears higher. When the source is moving away, the waves are stretched and the frequency appears lower.

3. How do you calculate the change in frequency due to the Doppler Effect?

The change in frequency can be calculated using the formula: Δf = f₀(v±vᵒ) / (v±vᵒ ± vs), where f₀ is the original frequency, v is the speed of sound, vᵒ is the velocity of the observer, and vs is the velocity of the source. The plus or minus sign indicates whether the source is moving towards or away from the observer.

4. Can the Doppler Effect only be observed with sound waves?

No, the Doppler Effect can be observed with any type of wave, including light waves. In fact, the Doppler Effect was first observed in light waves before it was discovered in sound waves.

5. How is the Doppler Effect used in everyday life?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications, such as in radar and sonar technology, where it is used to measure the speed and location of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound, to detect blood flow and diagnose heart problems. Additionally, it is used in astronomy to measure the velocity and distance of celestial objects.