Need help starting a Scientific Investigation Report

In summary, the conversation discusses an investigation report on Newton's second law and testing the relationship between force and acceleration. The experiment involved measuring a cart with varying masses and plotting a graph of force (in Newtons) on the x-axis and acceleration on the y-axis. The variables are categorized as independent (force) and dependent (acceleration) and the data collected supports the conclusion that force is directly proportional to acceleration.
PhysicsOfLearning

Homework Statement

My investigation report concerns Newton's second law and testing it to conclude that the Force is directly proportional to the acceleration.

We measured a cart down a runway with mass increments of 10g per result.

Starting off with 100g attached to the cart via thread (+ pulley), recording that data and then taking off 10g (from the thread) and adding that mass to the cart and recording the result.

After we had recorded all the data (which would eventually end up having 100g on the cart/trolley) we need to then plot a graph.

I am confused with the plotting of the graph because everywhere I look has Force on the y-axis, whereas I need "Newtons" (displayed on my graph as 10^-2N (why?) in the x-axis and acceleration on the y-axis.

Homework Equations

a = 1/m (equals F?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't specify but I assume the data you collected were acceleration measurements?

When doing an experiment we normally put the variable that is changed directly by the experimenter on the x-axis.
This variable is called the independent variable. You changed the force directly by transferring the mass from the hanger to the trolley.
The other variable, the dependent variable, the acceleration, was then measured. It changed as a result of you canging the force,
so it is then plotted on the y-axis since it is the dependent variable in your experiment, that is a(F).
Hope that makes it clear :)

1. What is a scientific investigation report?

A scientific investigation report is a written document that describes the process, methods, results, and conclusions of a scientific experiment or study. It is used to communicate the findings of the research to other scientists and the general public.

2. What is the purpose of a scientific investigation report?

The purpose of a scientific investigation report is to provide a detailed and objective account of the research process and results. It allows other scientists to replicate the study and verify the results, as well as contribute to the knowledge and understanding of a particular topic or phenomenon.

3. How do I start writing a scientific investigation report?

The first step in writing a scientific investigation report is to clearly define the research question or hypothesis. Then, conduct a thorough review of the existing literature on the topic to provide context and support for your study. Next, design and perform the experiment or study, and carefully record and analyze the data. Finally, organize your findings into a structured report, including an introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion sections.

4. What should be included in a scientific investigation report?

A scientific investigation report should include a title, abstract, introduction, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion sections. It should also include any relevant figures, tables, and graphs to visually represent the data. Additionally, a list of references and acknowledgments should be included at the end of the report.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and validity of my scientific investigation report?

To ensure the accuracy and validity of a scientific investigation report, it is important to use reliable and appropriate research methods, carefully collect and analyze data, and accurately report the results. It is also essential to follow the guidelines and standards of the scientific community, such as using proper formatting and citing sources correctly.